Welcome to the www.LightOnVedicAstrology.com Forum. Click here to register

Planetary Strength Calculation - Shadbala or %Strength

For discussion on planets, houses, signs, nakshatras, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.

Planetary Strength Calculation - Shadbala or %Strength

Postby rvenkats » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:17 pm

Hello,

In estimating the most powerful planet, what is the correct indicator? Is it the Shadbala Pinda or is it the percentage strength which I understand to be the ratio of Shadbala in Rupas divided by the minimum Shadbala needed for the planet to be powerful?

This is important in analyzing the strength of the planet for a chart for a high shadbala in rupas for mercury could still be low in percentage strength because the minimum required for Me is 7 rupas while for Sa or Ma all you need is 5 rupas for them to be in strength and the % strength could be high even though the shadbala is lower.

Any insight is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Venkat
rvenkats
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Planetary Strength Calculation - Shadbala or %Strength

Postby astro123 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:18 pm

rvenkats wrote:Hello,

In estimating the most powerful planet, what is the correct indicator? Is it the Shadbala Pinda or is it the percentage strength which I understand to be the ratio of Shadbala in Rupas divided by the minimum Shadbala needed for the planet to be powerful?

This is important in analyzing the strength of the planet for a chart for a high shadbala in rupas for mercury could still be low in percentage strength because the minimum required for Me is 7 rupas while for Sa or Ma all you need is 5 rupas for them to be in strength and the % strength could be high even though the shadbala is lower.

Any insight is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Venkat

One has to take in lot many factors other than shadbala to determine the strength/weakness of planets in the chart eg- lordships,placement,aspects,conjunctions etc
Beginner/Learner of Vedic Astrology
astro123
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rvenkats » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:27 pm

Dear astro123,

I totally agree with you that a lot more factors go in into determining the planet strength along with Shadbala. My question was between Shadbala and the % Strength (which is Shadbala / Min. Shadbala required for planet to be powerful) which is a truer indicator for that factor alone. My question arose from the book on graha bala by BV Raman where he indicated that % strength is a truer indicator of which planet was more powerful than other and I was hoping to seek the members' viewpoint.

Regards,
Venkat
rvenkats
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Dev » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:42 pm

Hi Venkat:

I dont think it is that simple. An exalted planet with 70% strength may be stronger than a debilitated planet with 130% strength and so on. Also significator of which house also needs to be taken. If he is 8th lord who is strong, then if you expect something good to happen in life with profession, fame, luck etc it may not.
So planets natural and functional nature, his exaltation and debilitation, aspects on him, conjunction, combustion, which house he signifies, all these count apart from shadbala. So they may have to be used in conjunction with one another and just taking shadbala alone may not yield desired result, this is what I feel.

Dev
Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby aganapa2 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:57 pm

Learned members,

This is a good topic for discussion venkat has started. Per Dev's feedback,i do understand the positions and characteritics of planets,houses and nakshatras they are placed in are important.

However,if we have a correlation between Sadhbala (rupas) and the respective positioning of planets in a chart then, i think we can have a view of the potential benign or malefic occurances of events that is more accurate in predictive astrology.

There is also the Ishta Pala and Kashta Pala aspects of planets that comes with the Sadhbala rupas. Should we at all consider them in assessing planetary strength of a horoscope?
aganapa2
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Dev » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:07 am

Hi Aganapa:

It is not that it always works. If in a horoscope the functional benefics also have high shadbala with high istaphala, then it is a simple case but when there are contrasting results interpretation is difficult.
When planets are crowded together, may be the calculation of these shadbala itself needs some correction.
In my own case, planet with lowest shadbala and lowest istaphla and high kastaphala was the best period of all.

Dev
Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby aganapa2 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:37 pm

Dear Dev,

Thanks for your feedback.U are absolutely spot on.I'm finding it difficult to analyze one such chart which is unique.There is a planetary war and despite Venus being in lagna and own moola trikona in libra, is so badly mutiliated that ishta pala is almost zero. So was wondering during the period of Venus how things would shape up for this native.

The ashtakavarga of all planets here are almost uniform at about 4, the sadhbala's are very nominal except for mercury, and all planets except mercury and saturn have almost single digit Ishta pala's.

From the chart it looks like the native has many yoga's, but not sure if they would fructify.If u find some time to analyse this, please provide me your feedback.

Thanks,
Last edited by aganapa2 on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aganapa2
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Dev » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:46 pm

Dear Aganapa,
You are most welcome Aganapa.
I will take some time, see the chart and let you know. But this is the horoscope of a 5 year old kid and how would you even test if yogas fructify or not?
Dev
Last edited by Dev on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby aganapa2 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:11 pm

Thanks Dev.This is only for analysis and get a high level view of what the planets might deliver in their MD/AD with such yogas and planetary strength (Sadhbala,Ishta/Kashta).May validate concepts/actuals, if i can keep a frame of reference for analysis,although i study others as well. This chart looked different to me,particularly the clustering and the balas which i thought ought to be stronger came out weak and vice versa looking @ the Rasi chart.
aganapa2
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Dev » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:28 pm

Yes Aganapa:

This horoscope is very interesting.
4 planets in tula, two in vrishchika.
Ra, Ke and Sa are separate.
Also budha is the only graha with high istaphala and saturn is OK, others have higher kastaphala.
It appears that mars and venus are very deep combust.
Sun and moon are debilitated.
The degrees in tula are so close and there are planetary wars among different groups.
So Ve becomes weak, it appears, also she is uncomfortable in the company of Jupiter, mars and sun(who are friendly to each other).

It appears that Sa is strong, and also Ra and Mercury. Mer is the least afflicted. Sa, Ra, Ke are also free.
So I suppose, sa dasa running now, will be good and so will be budha dasa and even may be ketu. But venus is lagna lord but highly combust, and with enemies and so I feel may not be good.
Me and ju are so close by, within a degree and may give rise to high intellect.
So special prayers to Goddess Lakshmi may be performed.

Most planets are in rahu's nakshatra, some in jupiter's, one in sat and one in sun's.
So Rahu is powerful and he is well placed though placed in 5th, it has naga dosha and not so good but is aspected by jupiter. Neverthless he is in saturn;s house and is alone, so good.

How is the health of the native. Luck is good since sa is yogakaraka and is quite well placed though in moon's house. Marriage could be a real problem with venus deep combust and afflicted with mars and sun within a degree and venus with very low ista phala. Almost istaphala kastaphala ratio is 1/89.

Anyway I doubt if the values of shadbala are right for such combinations in horoscope. Anyway experience alone would help. Not many people with such clusters come out in open and say the effects they faced.

Dev
Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby aganapa2 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:34 am

Thanks a lot for your analysis Dev. I posted my analysis (almost similar on the lines u have) on this chart on 18th Aug,but nobody provided me a feedback on the same.

One other interesting thing in this horoscope is that of Indhu lagna. Indhu lagna is also libra in this case,so financially during the planets AD's and MD's the native should do well.

Anyway,the jist of our analysis as i understand is, we cannot get too predictive, in such cases and watch as things unfold or may be there is a different analysis in another system that may throw up a different perspective.

Thanks,
aganapa2
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rvenkats » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:04 am

Dev and Aganapa2,

I appreciate your discussion and I am learning a lot from that. I would still like to bring back the thread to my original question. When we look at various factors determining planet strength, one of them is Shadbala. The value to be considered for that factor Shadbala - should it be the shadbala rupas or the % strength each graha has over the base shadbala rupa needed for a planet to be powerful? Any thoughts/experiences?

Regards,
Venkat
rvenkats
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Dev » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:12 am

Aganapa2:

I did not read your posts on this, where is it?

One other interesting thing in this horoscope is that of Indhu lagna. Indhu lagna is also libra in this case,so financially during the planets AD's and MD's the native should do well.
Yes, I feel so.

Anyway,the jist of our analysis as i understand is, we cannot get too predictive, in such cases and watch as things unfold or may be there is a different analysis in another system that may throw up a different perspective.
True, with such combinations, the person having such a horoscope himself becomes an astrologer provided he has interest in it. It is because experience teaches you a lot and just a keen observation of the happenings during each dasa and bukti should help find the benefic and malefic planets.

Dev
Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Dev » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:18 am

Venkat,

It should obviously be the % strength each graha has over the base shadbala rupa rather than shadbala rupas. Similarly if u take astavarga points, it is similar, some planets have total astavarga points which are very high(jupiter, venus) and some very low(saturn). So avergage of 3 would be good for saturn but 4 would be low for jupiter and venus.
As the average for each planet is different, so is the shadbala and so % is important.
Dev
Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rvenkats » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:34 am

Thanks Dev. I appreciate your insight.
rvenkats
Contributor
Contributor

Postby aganapa2 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:20 pm

Dear Dev,

My post is in the same forum Planets, Houses, Signs, etc. under Analysis on this chart-Shilpaji .I removed my analysis when i did not get a response for more than 5 days.

rvenkats,Dev - I agree with Dev's view on the % strength over designated sadhbalas,however i also feel that the relationship between MD and AD and affliction will need to be considered to assess how bad or good the situation is.

From my understanding, left to itself sadhbala's will not affect much if the relationship is OK 3-11 for benefic-malefic,malefic malefic and 5-9,4-10 for benefic- benefic. If there is an affliction i.e malefic aspect from 8th or 12th (with some exceptions like exaltation in those houses) or 1-7 affliction between enemies, then the situation could be very bad and any amount of free will,will not work..

Thanks,
aganapa2
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 2002diksha » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:32 pm

sir,
its a very useful discussion especially because this come to be very handy while predicting the good bad bad effects of planets.for the dasha of planet to go good what should be higher ishtaphal or kashtaphal. in my case i am running saturn dasha . the kashapahal of saturn is greater than ishtaphal and saturn dasha is going good. kindly shed light.
regards
2002diksha
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rvenkats » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:24 am

Dear aganapa2,

I agree that Shadbala (I will use this term to indicate % strength from now on), as with any single factor cannot present a true picture of what a person will face at any given point in time. My understanding is that Shadbala is what the planet brings to the table by itself based on it's position, time of day, the direction it occupies w.r.t ascendant, based on its relative speed, luminosity and aspects.

Now what a person faces faces at a particular point in time is decided by relationship between MD lord, AD lord and PAD lord and mutual placements, even the nakshatra the planets are placed and the relationship between the nakshatra lords, any blemishes it has due to being present with functional malefics or inimical houses, transits at a given point in time - in other words the environment presented to any planet to do its work for a particular person.

The shadbala is its capability or capacity to work in this environment. An analogy is that a person in an office has an office environment that sets the boundary of what the person can do but within that boundary how much a person can perform is decided by the innate strength of the person. More capability and drive better they can fulfill in a given environment.

Taking it a step further the Rasi chart is the HQ of that organization namely the human, Navamsa their most important support group - with core operations, the divisional chart are various functional organizations like Finance, Market Research, Facilities, Market Leadership, Threat assessment, Opportunities to expand etc. All of this different groups based on its individual significations impact the overall effect on the company. Navamsa being the core inner operations can remove many inefficiencies in the HQ the most. Any weak person in the HQ office, can be saved by his strength in the core operations office.

Lets say a person has a lot of strength in many functional areas, he is going to perform very well in office to the extent of his capability because he knows the most about how a company operates i.e. go closer 100% of his potential but never to exceed his environment he is presented with (namely prarabhda - what you came with into this life). Hence Shadbala and Amsabala on top of it are one of the highest factors to ultimately deciding what a graha can do for a person.

My 2 cents and hope I didn't veer too much off topic. Again, these are my thoughts based on inputs and clarifications from various members and I am a newbie. Love to hear more on this.

Regards,
Venkat
rvenkats
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rvenkats » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:41 am

diksha2002,

I read somewhere in this forum that Ishtapala and Kashta pala are the ability of a planet to do bring fortune or misery based on whether it is a functional benefic or malefic and it's karakatwa. A functional benefic with low Ishtapala cannot do a lot of good but doesn't in itself hurt but as humans thinking in opposites, we have a tendency to see that if good doesn't happen then relatively bad is happening though there are different levels of good or bad based on how your mind operates (Moon). So the period of a benefic with low Ishtapala can not only not do good but cannot prevent the bad effects of other planets during a period (the graha can be MD, AD or PAD lord) and so other planets (I am talking about is the remaining 2) can hurt pretty bad during the MD/PD/PAD. A person will see this time as a bad time in their life hence people go into Sukra dasha with high expectations and come out shell-shocked. The scenario is obvious in that if Ishtapala (IP) is high the period is good.

On the other hand, a functional malefic with high kashtapala (KP) is going to ding you pretty bad. If the IP of the malefic is high then it's negativity is reduced meaning it will trouble you less and be more amenable to the good influence of other benefics during its period. So the major difference is that a benefic with low IP doesn't harm by itself but cannot do too much good or prevent bad while a functional malefic with high IP cannot do much evil and hence other benefic significations come into play.

On a side note, a natural benefic will definitely show its benefic capability by its aspects irrespective of its functional nature while a natural malefic will show its malefic capability in the chart. The extent of course is dependent on other factors in the chart. Only the Lagna lord has an unqualified drive to do good for a person through its native signification. For e.g. Sa natives will see good through hard work and discipline. Not know your chart, it is difficult to say why Sa period was good.

Regards,
Venkat
rvenkats
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 2002diksha » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:32 pm

sir,
you have given a good insight on the topic. i have observed that regardless of the IP or KP for a planet the %strength is far more influencial in giving its results during its dasa. a strong planet will definitely have its effects heard during its dasa. a weak planet whether malefic or benefic will not be in its position to give results. the inherent strength of the planet is very important to give its results.
regards
2002diksha
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rvenkats » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:27 am

Dear diksha2002,

I certainly agree that planet with higher strength will express itself very forcefully but the method of expression can be impacted by his desire (KP or IP). Think of a jail warden v/s a very strict father. Both have a duty to bring about a positive change in you, learn your lesson - basically ensure you learn the lesson from your prarabhda. Both as people in positions of power will probably punish you to get you on the right path but a father has an inner affection/liking to you and is amenable to the benefic influence of your mother that tempers the way he does it. While with a jail warden you are out of any such luck. Hope that qualifies my previous explanation.

Regards,
Venkat
rvenkats
Contributor
Contributor

Postby fluid2finance » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:12 pm

Please see my shadbala post in special rules forum of lova

Ask questions there if need be
Thanks
F2f
fluid2finance