Welcome to the www.LightOnVedicAstrology.com Forum. Click here to register

Fixing Muhurtham for Upanayanam

Any other questions not listed above.

Moderator: Shrikanth

Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.

Postby sathishrao » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:45 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if someone on this forum could point me to the correct way to find the muhurtham for Upanayanam. Unfortunately, I am unablke to find information on this topic anywhere on the web. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Sathish
sathishrao
Newly Registered User
Newly Registered User

Postby Shrikanth » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:54 pm

Dear SathishRao,

PVR Narasimha Raoji has recorded a very good mp3 detailing the important aspects of Muhurtha selection for Thread ceremony.

You can download this from SJC Boston mp3 download site.
The exact one is Lesson 138 on 10 Nov 2008. There is just one part to this.

Hope this helps you
Shrikanth
Shrikanth
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Fixing Muhurtham for Upanayanam

Postby kishore » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:25 pm

You have not give the Rashi of your son.
Any way the following are few basic principles.
The Guru should be transiting over 2, 5, 7, 9 or 11th house from the Janma Rashi of your son. Currently it is in Kumbham. In June it would be transiting to Meena. The Same should be the case with your janma rashi also. Since your rashi is makaram, Guru in Kumbham is good time for you to give Gayatri to your son i.e, 2nd house from Makaram. Rememer, in no case, the Guru should be in 8th house from that your son's janma rashi. And since, your boy's star is krittika, he should be either in Mesha or Vrishabha. If he is Mesha rashi, you can perform his upanayamam in the month of April, when Guru is Kumbha (i.e, 11th house from mesha). If he is Vrishabha rashi you can perform in the month of June. This is preferable to you, I guess. Guru in 10th house from janmarashi is also favourable.

Next, the following are very important.
The eighth house from the Muhurtha lagna (the time of performing upnayamam) should be vacant. This is Ashthmasuddhi.
The placement of Guru from the muhurtha lagna. Guru can be in lagna or It should be placed in Kendras i.e, 4th house, 7th house or 10th house from the lagna. These houses can be occupied by benefic planets like Sukra and Chandra also. Budha can be considered as he is neither benefic nor malefic.
Malefic planets i.e, Kuja, Ravi and Sani should preferably placed in 3rd, 6th and 11 houses from lagna. You can ignore the shadow planets like Rahu and Ketu in either case. If Ravi is 11th house, they say, all the negative effects are nullified. So, if you can have karkataka lagna in the first week of June, Ravi would be in the 11 house.

9th house should not be occupied by Ravi, KUja, Rahu. Chandra should not be 2, 4,6, and 12. Budha should not be in 12th house.

Next, since your star and his star fall in the same group, you can perform the upanayanam on any day having the stars :Rohini, Hastha, Anuradha, uttarabhadra. You can also consider Ashvini, Pushyami, Swati, Shravana, Shatabhisha.

Upnayam should be performed only in the forenoon.

If your boy is vrishabha raashi, then 15th june, karkataka lagnam would be suitable, I guess. As benefics are in lagna i.e, Sukra and Chandra. Chandra is in his favourable position. Malefic Sani in third house, Ravi in 11th house, which is very desirable. THe eighth house is empty i.e, Ashtamasudhdhi. The star pushyami is favourable to both of you. While the benefics sukra and chandra appear to be bonded, the malefic ravi has no yuthi with budha.
kishore
Newly Registered User
Newly Registered User

Postby sathishrao » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:33 pm

Dear Sir,
Thanks for the great explanation. I am currently trying to fix a muhurtham for the Upanayanam of my second son. I am getting conflicting information about fixing the muhurtham. I spoke to my dad and he says that there is no appropriate this this entire year for his Upanayanam. As he is 7 now, I would like to perform it before he turns 8 in August in of this year. I would appreciate if you can help in this regard. His date of birth is 20th August 2004, 5:55 am, Ann Arbor, MI, USA (42-17N, 83-45W). His Janma Rashi is Kanya and Lagna Rashi is Karkataka. I would like to perform his Upanayanam in June. I was given the date of June 29th by two others. Please help. Since I did not get the explanation for the selection of 29th for the muhurtham, I am unable to reason out if this is okay.

Regards,
Sathish
sathishrao
Newly Registered User
Newly Registered User

Postby Shrikanth » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:12 am

Dear satishrao,

Did they give you a muhurtha time with the Jun 29 as well.

On the rough glance Jun 29 seems alright to me;

Tithi is Shukla Dasami (ruled by Moon)
Vara is Friday (Venus is strong in his own house)
Nakshatra is Swati - usually considered an auspicious nakshatra to be atleast born in.
Yoga is Siva yoga (Me);
Karana is Garija (Jupiter)

I'm assuming they suggested a 9:00a approx muhurtha with Cancer lagna and Sun in the 12th - with an addition of donation some light/lamps.

Shrikanth
Shrikanth
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby P.Srinivas. Rao » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:11 pm

Dear Sathish Rao,

KIindly provide the--------- !) Your date of birth and your Sons date of birth Or

your janma rashi and sons DOB ( place ,time and date )

2) Exact name of the place where u prefer to perform the upanayanam to ur son

Regards

P.S.Rao
Astrology is not a Science of light, but it is the Science of life
P.Srinivas. Rao
Donor
Donor

Postby sathishrao » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:06 pm

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your response.
My date of Birth is Sept 12, 1970; 3:20 am; Bangalore
Son's Date of Birth: August 20, 2004; 5:55 am; Ann Arbor, MI; USA (42-17N, 83-45W)
I am planning to perform the Upanayanam in Bangalore, India.
I appreciate your help.

Regards,
Sathish
sathishrao
Newly Registered User
Newly Registered User

Postby sathishrao » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:09 pm

Shrikanth,
Thanks for responding. Yes, you are right. The muhurtham was for 8:45 to 9:30 am. The one thing that is not adding up for me is the rule that Jupiter needs to be in the same house as the Muhurtha Lagna or in one of the kendras. For this Lagna, Jupiter is in the 11th house from the Lagna. Is this okay or is there a parihara for this ?
Regards,
Sathish
sathishrao
Newly Registered User
Newly Registered User

Postby Shrikanth » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:42 am

Dear satishrao,

Ideally one would like Jupiter to be placed with strength in a strong trine. Kendra placement is the second alternative.

But such idealistic placements are not practical from a muhurtha perspective.
I mean you'll probably get such a muhurtha lagna but it may be based on a 3:00AM muhurtha - which is not practical.

I'm not suggesting you take/consider this Jun 29 muhurtha - just for the sake of explanation.

This muhurtha is practical; at 9:10a - the Navamsa lagna has a beautiful Jupiter in Pisces - that will more than compensate for the Jupiter in the Rasi chart.

In the Rasi chart we maximize the advantage - Fill the 11th house with planets (here we have Jupiter-Venus-Ketu). Natural Benefic mercury now blesses the Cancer Ascendant and a powerful malefic force of Sat-Mars rules over the 3rd house. the rest of the panchanga elements are fine as I've mentioned previously.

Quick overview of other times on Jun 29 is not very good and practical.

I'm sure there are other suitable days that we can look at during that time period of Jun.

Hope my explanation helps you in your planning.

Regards
Shrikanth
Shrikanth
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby sathishrao » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:03 am

Srikanth,
Thank you, that was very helpful. I am open to looking at other possible muhurthams, preferably last week of June to 1,2nd week of July. Let me know if you see something there.
Regards,
Sathish
sathishrao
Newly Registered User
Newly Registered User

Postby P.Srinivas. Rao » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:44 pm

sathishrao wrote:Dear Sir,
Thank you for your response.
My date of Birth is Sept 12, 1970; 3:20 am; Bangalore
Son's Date of Birth: August 20, 2004; 5:55 am; Ann Arbor, MI; USA (42-17N, 83-45W)
I am planning to perform the Upanayanam in Bangalore, India.
I appreciate your help.

Regards,
Sathish

Dear Mr Rao,

I am sorry to say that there is NO MHURTHA for Upanayana from June 2012 to December 2012.

The reason is follows-------1) Shukra becomes Astha from 4-06-12 to 12-06-12. ( Upanayana or Marriage or Devatha prathishta cannot be done during Ashtha Kaal of Guru or Shukra )

2) Adhika Maasa starts from 18th august to Sept 16th ( No auspecious function will be held during this period )

3) Ashada Maasa starts from 15th july to 16th august ( --------------------do -----------------------------)

4) Dhakshinayana starts from June 20th to december 28th .( In dakshinayana , upanayana cannot be performed )

Therefore there is no use in seeing Upanayana Muhurtha during this period .
When there is no Upanayana Muhurtha during this period, there is no point in seeing nakshatra, thithi, muhurtha lagna, ashtama shuddhi, shoonya maasa , week day , Guru bala , tara bala etc, etc-----

Regards

P.S.Rao
Last edited by P.Srinivas. Rao on Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
P.Srinivas. Rao
Donor
Donor

Postby sathishrao » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:35 am

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your analysis. My son is turning 8 this August and I would like to perform his Upanayanam before he turns 8, like for my older son. Can you suggest any good time during this year to perform the ritual. The most important thing for me is to perform the brahmopadesha in an auspicious time. Are there any possibilities before April 6 as you have mentiuoned that Sukra turn Ashta on this date.
Regards,
Sathish
sathishrao
Newly Registered User
Newly Registered User

Postby sathishrao » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:38 am

Dear All,
I am a little confused, with this. Does this mean that nobody can perform any auspicious rituals from April till end of the year 2012 ?
sathishrao
Newly Registered User
Newly Registered User

Postby Shrikanth » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:01 am

Dear SathishRao,

The importance of Shukra Astha should be considered low. But doing this in Uttarayana is more important. So in essence your window is from now until end of the Uttarayana.
Depending on who you ask - end of the Ayana will differ - but its mostly around end of Jun to early Jul.

From what I looked around for favourable muhurthas after Jun 29 - there is actually none. (which is understandable given the fact that the ayana ends few days after that ).

I'd still recommend contacting some priests in India and getting a second opinion about this. Some good priests/knowledge people may be able to suggest an alternative dates - but I still doubt you can find something into 2nd wk of Jul.

Regards
Shrikanth
Shrikanth
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby sathishrao » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:31 am

Dear Srikanth,
I have been trying to find out the day of dakshinayanam. Some say it is the June 20, others say the 14th, some others say it is the first day of the month of Tamil month Aadi. Which one should we follow ? Also, based on all the feedback, it looks like the 29th is practically a good muhurtham, if it falls it falls in Uttarayanam.
Regards,
Sathish
sathishrao
Newly Registered User
Newly Registered User

Postby P.Srinivas. Rao » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:48 pm

sathishrao wrote:Dear All,
I am a little confused, with this. Does this mean that nobody can perform any auspicious rituals from April till end of the year 2012 ?

Yes, there is no UPANAYANA MUHURTHA from June till December2012.( Only Upanayana Muhurtha )I have already told the reason in my earlier answer.

In Ashaada Maasa no upanayana or marriage to be held , not auspecious month pl note. ( in this period u will not have any marriage muhurtha also --July 16th to august 15th )

Brahmins follow the month from Sankramana to Sankramana, where as other castes follow from Amavasya to amavasya or Prathama thithi of Shukla paksha to Last tithi of Krishna paksha.

Therefore as per us -- Dakshinayana starts from KARKA SANKRAMANA ( 16th july 2012) to MAKARA SANKRAMANA (14th January 2013 ) We follow Soorya maana caluculation and not Chaandra maana )
Since Ravi starts moving towords south ( dakshinayana ) from 20th june onwords, i wrote this date in my earlier answer to u.

Others:- Dakshinayana starts from 4th july 2012 to 28th december2012. They follow Chaandra maana paddathi. I hope i am clear to u now.

It is not reasonable to say that only Guru Astha should be taken into consideration for upanayana muhurtha. Both Guru and Shukra are very very important in every muhurtha ( including Upanayana ), whether u r Righvedi or Yajurvedi. The reason i will brief u later

Regards

P.S.Rao
P.Srinivas. Rao
Donor
Donor

Postby P.Srinivas. Rao » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:24 am

Why 29th of June is not acceptable ?

It is difficult to explain in writing as to why 29th is not acceptable for upanayana. I am not sure whether u will undersyand if i say this in writing. Any how let me try to explain-- WHY ?

!) As per Solar calender ( Soorya maana system )-- Mithuna Maasa means when Ravi is in Mithuna rashi.
Ravi enters mithuna rashi on 14-06-2012 and stays there till 15-07-12.

2) As per Lunar calender ( Chaandra maana paddathi)-- Ashada maasa starts from 20-06-12 to 19-07-12. That means on 29th june , Ravi is in mithuna rashi.

3) On 29th june , Ravi in Mithuna rashi but Ashaada maasa in lunar calender. In such case upanayana cannot be performed. It is also called as Shoonya Maasa.

That is why in local panchanga u will not find upanayana muhurtha on 29th june.

This is as per Hindu electional Astrology by B.K.Shridhar. Courtsey by Anuradha.

Kindly refer Muhurtha Question thread

OTHERS FOR UR KNOWLEDGE:-

1) when Ravi is in Mithuna Rashi during Ashada Maasa, or
when Ravi is in Dhanur Maasa during Pushya Maasa, or
When Ravi is in Kanya rashi during Bhadrapada Maasa
The marriage should not be conducted. It is called SHOONYA MAASA Now a days people insists jyothishi that he ( groom ) dont have the time and he wanted ----right now. And also because of the non-avilability of marriage hall , the people dont have much choice to select/choose the timing and date for the marriage.P.Srinivas. Rao
Donor

The above is applicable to Upanayana also.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11875

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11415
P.Srinivas. Rao
Donor
Donor

Postby uyanupama » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:01 pm

Dear Sir,
I am planning to perform the Upanayanam for my son. please tell me the Muhurtham for Upanayanam
My date of Birth is Sept 30, 1953; Vijayawada
Son's Date of Birth: May 30, 1984; 7:30 am; Vijayawada, Krishna District ; Andhra Pradesh, India
Son's name : Srinivasa Krishna Dilip
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Yethiraja Sampat kumar Udayagiri
uyanupama
Newly Registered User
Newly Registered User

Postby Shrikanth » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:03 am

Dear Sampat Kumar,

It may be beneficial for you and the others if you could open a separate thread for your request.
Also please post the approx time window (which month approx) when you want to perform the event.

Shrikanth
Shrikanth
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby uyanupama » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:16 am

Dear Mr. Srikanth,
Thank you. I am open to looking at possible muhurthams in the month of February, march ,april or may, Let me know if you see something there.
Regards,
Sampat kumar
uyanupama
Newly Registered User
Newly Registered User

Postby PrasadJ » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:56 am

Hello Srikanth,

I am planning to perform upanayanam for my brother.
My Star : Pushyami

My Brother's Star - Sravanam
Rasi - Makaram

I found 28th April 2012, Midhuna lagnam is Good enough for performing upanayanam. Kindly verify and let me know if this is good, if not, please suggest any good muhurtham.

Regards,
Prasad
PrasadJ
Newly Registered User
Newly Registered User

Postby suretej05 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:01 pm

Dear Sir ( P S Rao)..

Could you tell me if the Following Muhurtham ( past ) of the Upanayanam of my son is Correct or wrongly Advised.

My name : Surendra Lakshminarayana, DOB: 05 Sept 1970, time :08.15 AM , Bangalore
Son's Name : S.Niranjan , DOB: 10th July 1998, time, 14.25 , tadpatri, AP

Lagnam :
Mithuna , date : 26th April 2012 , time 09.00 AM to 10.20 AM

Since that day was Shankara Jayanthi.. I was advised that any muhurtham would be fine & not to bother on gurubhala..

Now after exactly 1 month Maternal Uncle of the child ( my Brother in law ) is suffering from Problems, he was hospitalised & his wife died..

I am beginning to feel that this may be because of the Dosha..

Pleas advise & tell me if there is any remedy for this

Thanks & regards

Surendra L
suretej05
Newly Registered User
Newly Registered User

Postby kvramana » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:18 pm

Dear Sir,
I am planning to perform the Upanayanam for my son. please tell me the Muhurtham for Upanayanam, suggest me in between jan-2013 and april-2013
my date of birth details are: 26-aug-1948, bharani nakshatram, mesha rasi
Son's Date of Birth:09-nov-1987 11:55AM; guntur, Guntur District ; Andhra Pradesh, India, mrugasira nakshatram, mithuna rasi
Son's name : Brahma Teja kanchibhotla
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
k v ramana
kvramana
Newly Registered User
Newly Registered User

Postby R V RAMANAN » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:32 pm

Dear Sir,

You can try April 8th 2013 between 9 and 10 am.

Regards
ramanan
R V RAMANAN
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby kmaganti » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:32 am

Dear Sir

Please help me in fixing upanayana muhurtam for my son at Hyderabad a.p., details as under:

Myself:-) Krishna maganti DOB 30.10.1966 time 23.53hrs krittika 1st pada born at hyd a.p.

My son:-) Aditya nagasai maganti DOB 21.03.2002 time 16.07hrs mrigasira 4th pada born at new York USA

Any dates after march 2013 are preferable.

Thanks in advance

Krishna
kmaganti
Newly Registered User
Newly Registered User

Next

Return to Other Questions: Childbirth, Birth Rectification, etc.