Avastha of planets

For discussion on planets, houses, signs, nakshatras, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
ssid
Contributor
Contributor

Avastha of planets

Post by ssid » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:51 pm

I did some reading about the avastha of planets recently and learnt that old/dead planets are not capable of producing any results. Looking at my own chart I realized a majority of the planets are either old, dead or sleeping. Should I be trying some remedies?

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Avastha of planets

Post by elipsis » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:45 am

Vriddha and Mrita avastas normally means you shall get results towards the end of a transit or a dasa/antar dasa period. Planets aren't literally dead...
As of Dec 2015 I am no longer active on this forum. If you have any questions related to my topics you can contact me via email by clicking on my username. I very much enjoyed contributing on this forum.

ssid
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ssid » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:50 pm

Why do planets get 'ages?' Does a particular age of a planet indicate increased karmic activity?

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by elipsis » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:17 pm

Age is used to determine the timing of the results.
As of Dec 2015 I am no longer active on this forum. If you have any questions related to my topics you can contact me via email by clicking on my username. I very much enjoyed contributing on this forum.

fluid2finance
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by fluid2finance » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:27 pm

this is a very nice topic and I would greatly appreciate more astrologers chipping in...

elipsis, I understand your logic and do believe it works to some extent
however, it has been very clearly mentioned in many schools of thought that very old or young planets are unable to give good results at any stage during the dasha

systems approach infact says that a planet gives results 100% only between 6 and 24 degrees...then 20% is subtracted each degree....i.e. a planet in last 1 degree or first one degree only gives 20% results...on 2nd degree only 40% etc....

janaki
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by janaki » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:00 am

My understanding was that the planet which is Kumar or Yuva would give good results. Bal, Vriddha and Mruta planet would give less results.

It also helps for checking which planet will dominate the house when two planets of different avasthas occupy the same house.
“Everything you can imagine is real.”
― Pablo Picasso

fluid2finance
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by fluid2finance » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:19 am

Hi Janaki

That is also correct. What you are referring to is the 6 degree division

0 to 6 only 1/4 results
6 to 12 about 1/2 results
12 to 18 full results
18 to 24 negligible results and 24 to 30 no results

these are reveresed for odd/ even signs meaning a planet at 1 degree in taurus for example as an even sign is at extreme old age not infancy

however, question is that in reality and in practice it does not work like that.
I have seen plenty a horoscopes in hundreds if not thousands where a planet at 29th or 1st degree has given excellent results while alone or other planets in the same house

More comments and discussion will be very appreciated on this topic.....

janaki
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by janaki » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:36 am

Hi F2F,

Even I have observed the same trend. I mean even the aspects have full effects. I mean to say a mrita Mars wouldnt spare from his karakatvas. I think he gives full effects. I mean to say a mrita mars if placed in 2,1,4,7,8 then also he works the same way as he would if he were Yuva.

As it is mentioned in texts there should be some importance to it. I have not been able to find much on this topic.
― Pablo Picasso

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by elipsis » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:40 am

janaki wrote:My understanding was that the planet which is Kumar or Yuva would give good results. Bal, Vriddha and Mruta planet would give less results.

It also helps for checking which planet will dominate the house when two planets of different avasthas occupy the same house.
I don't subscribe to this theory. If that was true, bill gates with his two dead planets in the 5th house should be living below poverty line by now. The strength of a planet is gauged starting with the ascendant lord, bhava and shadbalas, transiting nakshatras and then avastas which show the timing and intensity of the results. Then there are also dasa systems to estimate the timing mainly - vimshotari and brigu pada system.

fluid2finance
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by fluid2finance » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:50 am

Elipsis,

You bring an interesting point. In bill gates horo..(only from memory as I dont even have my software in front of me right now) I think he has an exalted saturn and venus in libra that you are referring to

this brings another interesting view.

What I do believe in is that planets are (stronger) in particular decantes in vedic astrology

mars and sun are strong in 1st decante (first 1/3 of the house)
mercury, rahu and ketu strong all thru a rashi (at any degree)
venus and moon as strong in the last decante (last 1/3 of a rashi)
jupiter and saturn in the middle...with saturn in middle but tending to 3rd part of rashi

keep in mind this is reversed in even signs...meaning in an even sign a planet at 5 degrees will be in last 1/3 of the house

this I think does work to some extent in how gladly the planet expresses itself. however, this is just one of the many things one has to see including placement in dasa vargas (10 divisionals) shadbala, rashi depositor strength, nakshatra depositor strength and aspects

[quote="elipsis"][quote="janaki"]My understanding was that the planet which is Kumar or Yuva would give good results. Bal, Vriddha and Mruta planet would give less results.

It also helps for checking which planet will dominate the house when two planets of different avasthas occupy the same house.[/quote]

I don't subscribe to this theory. If that was true, bill gates with his two dead planets in the 5th house should be living below poverty line by now. The strength of a planet is gauged starting with the ascendant lord, bhava and shadbalas, transiting nakshatras and then avastas which show the timing and intensity of the results. Then there are also dasa systems to estimate the timing mainly - vimshotari and brigu pada system.[/quote]

janaki
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by janaki » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:30 am

I don't subscribe to this theory. If that was true, bill gates with his two dead planets in the 5th house should be living below poverty line by now. The strength of a planet is gauged starting with the ascendant lord, bhava and shadbalas, transiting nakshatras and then avastas which show the timing and intensity of the results. Then there are also dasa systems to estimate the timing mainly - vimshotari and brigu pada system.

elipsis
Frequent Contributor

To accept or not is one's choice but the avasthas are given in the classical texts. I dont know about Bill Gate's horoscope. So cant comment on it.

I have been to many astrologers who are practicing astrology for 30-40 years. They just use Lagna, navmansha, avastha and dasha to give predictions. They don't have time to go through such details as you have mentioned as they are so busy but they make use of avasthas of planet. One can always go in details like vargacharts etc.
― Pablo Picasso

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by elipsis » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:25 am

janaki wrote:

elipsis
Frequent Contributor

To accept or not is one's choice but the avasthas are given in the classical texts. I dont know about Bill Gate's horoscope. So cant comment on it.
You are misreading the classics, I can show you hundreds of charts where old and dead planets are primarily responsible for one's success - late Margaret thatcher, ambani, bill gates, queen of england and many more. If a planet is dead it does not mean it won't give results, lots of factors have to be taken into account. A dead planet shining brightly can no longer be effective? An old planet with a dreamful state is less effective? The results are based on the overall strength of the chart - not through this dead and alive business. The native would not live even if one planet is literally dead.

fluid2finance
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by fluid2finance » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:28 am

elipsis - you are correct

however as Janaki has explained his/ her own logic, its more because of astrologers trying to take a quick guess regarding the power of a planet without going into any detail

btw, the shadbala calculations in JHora for moon and mercury are wrong. The author of the software - Mr narasimha is an acquaintence of mine and I have indicated the same to him...he will look into coding the remedy in the next version beyond 7.64

as an example. in my own horoscope, moon shadbala should be 175, but is calculated as 100 in Jhora right now! I had posted a thread regarding this called "Jhora shadbala values can be incorrect for you"

janaki
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by janaki » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:34 am

You are misreading the classics, I can show you hundreds of charts where old and dead planets are primarily responsible for one's success - late Margaret thatcher, ambani, bill gates, queen of england and many more. If a planet is dead it does not mean it won't give results, lots of factors have to be taken into account. A dead planet shining brightly can no longer be effective? An old planet with a dreamful state is less effective? The results are based on the overall strength of the chart - not through this dead and alive business. The native would not live even if one planet is literally dead.
What do you mean by this?

BPHS, Chapter 45:

Avasthas of Planets

1. O sage, you have earlier stated that the Avasthas (states) of planets be considered in the context of planetary effects. Be kind to tell me about the same.

2. O excellent of Brahmins, various kinds of planetary Avasthas have been expounded. Out of these, I tell you the summary of infant and other states (in the first instance).

3. INFANT STATE ETC:
Infant, youthful, adolescent, old, and dead are the states of planets placed in the ascending order at the rate of six degrees in odd signs. This arrangement is reverse in the case of even signs.

4. RESULTS:
One fourth, half, full, negligible, and nill are the grades of results due to a planet in infant, youthful, adolescent, old, and dead states.

I wrote about avasthas of planets considering all other things being equal. I never said that the chart should be read just considering one factor. The very fact that the above avasthas are mentioned in classics means there is some thought behind it otherwise they would not have been mentioned in classics.

I dont want to indulge in this argument/discussion if its not conducive and healthy.
― Pablo Picasso

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by elipsis » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:50 am

janaki wrote:
You are misreading the classics.
What do you mean by this?
I meant, this is what happens if you take classics literally. Classics are cryptic texts meant to be read by trained professionals, scholars and so on. I mean if a desperate man reads these texts,he'll see all sorts of raja yogas, he''ll put up dumb questions as to why his raja yoga or some other fancy yoga is not working. The reason is he has taken the description of the yogas very literally. Same applies to avastas, exalted planets or any other combination you come across.

tripura
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by tripura » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:37 am

Elipsisji, are there any remedies for the mruta and vriddha planets? My sun Mahadasha is going to start in a few months and it is in mruta avasta. should i do something to rejuvenate it?

elipsis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by elipsis » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:42 pm

Recite Adiya Hridayam daily at dawn.

tripura
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by tripura » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:32 am

elipsisji, thanks .

Anandham
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Anandham » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:04 am

Interesting. JHora also has moods next to the age and alertness levels. One planet shows several moods in D1: Deepta (glowing), Duhkhita (distressed), Khala (mischievous), Garvita (proud). Can someone please elaborate on what this means? Thank you.