Overlaying Between Navamsa and Rasi

For discussion on planets, houses, signs, nakshatras, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Overlaying Between Navamsa and Rasi

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:42 pm

Hi

In the blog it was discussed, and most modern Vedic Astrologers use this principle.

Basically the Lagna (Rasi's Lagna), Lagnamsa (Navamsa's Lagna) and Karakamsa can be overlaid either on the Rasi or Navamsa and interpretations made therefrom with respect to the other houses in the chart (be it Rasi or Navamsa).

Now there are two schools of camp of thought about this. One does not advocate it and one does (the majority). The one who does not advocate it says :

(1) It is not stated in the classical texts.
(2) There is no basis for it.

So which view is correct?

As we have always discussed in the blog, the Navamsa represents the fruits of the tree and Rasi the tree. Another way of putting it is that the Navamsa is made up of modules each being made up of a package of components. Rasi represents a collection wide of components.

So if one put the problem above in the context of "Philosophy of Mind" discussion, Navamsa is like the ideas in our brain. These ideas are formed from our mind out of the sensory stimuli that impacts the sensory organs. This is the mind-body problem in the "Philosophy of Mind". Within that field of study, there is a camp which says that the mind and body are completely separate. Another camp says the mind (ideas) is composed out of the body (senses). Navamsa is the "ideas" and Rasi is the "body". We then use the second camp of thought and say that Navamsa (as in all other divisional charts) are obtained from the Rasi.

So each house of the Navamsa can be taken as a fruit. Each house of the Rasi can be taken a basic component of a tree be it a nutrient molecule, a water molecule, an enzyme, a chemical component built from sunlight and oxygen etc.

To put just the Karakamsa and Lagnamsa onto the Rasi is correct as we want to see how these two fruits actually will develop to its full potential based on the physical structre of the tree we know of (the Rasi). However, this is doing an injustice to all the other houses of the Navamsa, regardless on how important the Karakamsa and Lagnamsa is in relation to them.

In the same way, to put the Lagna into the Navamsa and analyse from there, is to determine how a particular aspect of the physical structure of the tree can contribute to the developement of various kinds of fruits that can potentially be grown on the tree. The Lagna is important with all effects of the other houses in the Rasi ontributing to its development. But still it would fall short of analysing how the other aspects of the physical structure of the tree can contribute to the growth of the other various fruits.

Hence my view is that we can use the overlaying concept but do not place too much emphasis on it. Better to analyse separately for each chart without overlaying and any linkage be provided for in other Vedic Astrology traditional methods like planet placement, Vargottama, Vimsopaka Bala etc.

Thanks.

Hock Leong

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Pairwise Comparison

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:08 am

Hi

If we intend to use the overlaying principle, then one way is to do a pairwise comparison like betwwen Lagnamsa and Lagna. Then one would be comparing between one module of the Navamsa and one molecule of the Rasi. In this way, this would prevent the astrologer from going into a deep end by doing a comparison with one part of Navamsa with the whole of Rasi and concluding prematurely.

This particular method is doumented in the Jamini Sutras.

We put the Lagnamsa onto the Rasi. The house following where the Lagnamsa is where the person would find brilliance and fortune. How does it work?

Lagnamsa is the present life credit of the individual. 5th house to it is where inthe future, the person would reap the benefits through his intelligence. The 10th to this house is where one can read off the fame and fortune of the indvidual as a resul of reaping the benefits through hard work. If the Karakamsa is placed there as well, the destiny of the person towards fame and fortune is even more certain.

Thanks.

Hock Leong

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Follow-up

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:30 am

Hi

Regarding overlaying the Karakamsa on the Rasi chart and rading off all the relevant details, it should be OK as I found out from a blog that this is OK because Karakamsa changes more slowly than Lagna. Hence it provides a foundation for the Lagna so to speak; its characteristics are not so mutable - changing more frequently like the Lagna.

In terms of the change of the philosophical basis for the argument, this would mean assuming the tree ages very fast. Hence it is very difficult to assess the tree based on its molecules or components. In that case, we take a most probable and representative fruit that is borned by the tree, say MANGO, and try to visualise how the various parts of thetree can give rise to the growth of the MANGO. The MANGO then represents the Karakamsa.

(Note the fruit chosen must be a representative fruit and not just any fruit).

Thanks.

Hock Leong

astro_abc

Post by astro_abc » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:38 am

Hi Khoo,

I found it difficult to understand your post about overlaying lagnamsa in rasi and I had a couple of questions.

For instance,
In my rasi chart: lagna cancer.
In my navamsa chart: lagna pisces

So overlaying lagnamsa in rasi, i get lagnamsa as 9th house. You mention that the house following that will signify whether one gets brilliance and fortune. The house following that is the 10th house-aries in my rasi chart.

So basically, according to your post, I should find brilliance and fortune from my 10th house - essentially through my career. is that accurate?

Interestingly, the 10th house is also where my karamsha is overlayed. In my navamsha, aries (house 2) is where my atmakaraka (mercury) is placed. according to your post, this is a good thing. would you be able to elaborate a little more on how i should analyze this further?

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Replyy to Astro ABC

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:04 am

Hi

With regards to your 1st question, yes that is the correct interpretation. You will find brilliance in your 10th house of career.

Since your Karakamsa is also Aires, analyse your Karakamsa as if it is the Lagna in both the Navamsa and the Rasi and read off aspects from there. The Karakamsa is useful for reading career details - more so than even either Arudha Lagna or the Arudha Pada of the 10th House (although the latter two are also important).

So for example, trines to Karakamsa in Navamsa relates to good fortune and availiability of skills (as resource) in your career. Trines to Karakamsa in your Rasi will determine to what extent you are able to put your skills into practice (remember - Rasi represents physical manifestation of all aspects of life).

And also, trines to Karakamsa in the Navamsa also indicates support for spirituality (this is outside the context of this post).

Thanks.

Hock Leong

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » Mon May 04, 2009 1:36 pm

Hi

Between lagnamsa and karakamsa, it would be more applicable to analyse vocations using lagnamsa in Navamsa rather than karakamsa. Karakamsa indicate the desire of the soul whereas the lagnamsa indicate the actual karma of the body. Though these indicate the vocation with D-10 we can say with certainty the actual vocation.

On the other hand it is better to transpose the karakamsa to the Rasi and analyse it there as karakamsa is less prone to change than lagnamsa as indicated earlier in thepost.

The transposition of lagnamsa to Rasi and analyse it with respect to Rashi Laga is OK, as the procedure deals more with the relative positions between the two. If both change at about the same frequency rate, chances are error would be less provided the birth time is relatively accurate.

Thanks.

Hock Leong

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Overlaying the Whole of Navamsa Over the Whole of Rashi

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » Wed May 13, 2009 2:05 pm

Hi

We can also overlay the whole of Navamsa over the whole of the Rashi chart. The idea is to see which house has the most planets. From this we see which house is the strongest with the most planets including taking into account which planet is in own sign, moolatrikona and exaltaion. Aspects are not considered in this technqiue.

The person would be inclined towards affairs of the strongest house in the 2nd half of its life (Navamsa takes over the affairs of the native in the 2nd half of the life but the Rasi planets still retain its strong background strength although not as strong as in the 1st half of the life).

For the above technique, the Lagnamsa is counted as one (like any other planet) in the determining of the strength of the house of the resultant double chart.

Also when this overlaying is done on the Rasi chart of the spouse, it shows the quality of the spouse that we have gotten especially if the Lagnamsa of our Navamsa falls in one of the trinal houses of the Rasi chart of our spouse.

Thanks.

Hock Leong