Clarification : Why is Cancer Ascendant so Lucky?

For discussion on planets, houses, signs, nakshatras, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Clarification : Why is Cancer Ascendant so Lucky?

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:17 am

Hi Learned Members

When I first join the forum, Anuradha asked me this question. I gave some reply - I think I said because all the natural benefics were ruling good houses - Venus for 11th and Jupiter for 9th.

Then I realise through my analysis that Jupiter ruling the 6th and 9th, means the 9th lord is very much controlled by its other co-rulership of the 6th house since 6th being the 10th to the 9th.

In my case luckily my 6th house has no planets, and Jupiter being in the 8th, wipes out the bad effects of the 8th.

But then there are two additional points :

(1) The 11th lord of gains is exalted in the 9th of luck and father for a Cancer Ascendant.

(2) The 9th lord of luck and father is exalted in the Ascendant, your general life and well-being.

In my case, Venus the 11th lord is in the Ascendant and based on point (1) ALONE, the effects of luck and father is FURTHER felt.

Also Jupiter in the 8th and Venus in the 1st in my chart, both are casting mutual Jaimini aspects, the strongest mutual aspect for Aquarius and for Cancer.

Jupiter aspect on Venus, since it being the 9th lord, means Venus is FURTHER imbued with the functional signification of luck and father (this functional signification is not through functional rulership but rather through the exaltation sign linkage which is Pisces on the 9th for Venus and Cancer Ascendant).

Venus aspect on Jupiter means Jupiter functional signification of the general good life (Cancer on the Ascendant where Jupiter is exalted) is FURTHER increased since Venus is the 11th lord of gains and Venus is in Cancer (and Venus is in the Yogi Point and Venus is in Libra Navamsa and the Yogi Point is also the Nakshatra sitting on top of the exact rising degree of the Ascendant ie. the ruler of this Nakshatra is also the Nakshatra Ascendant Lord). Jupiter is also in Pisces Navamsa.

Thus on the whole Cancer Ascendant people are lucky...........and I am not only lucky, I am blessed as well.

Best Regards
Hock Leong

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Clarification : Why is Cancer Ascendant so Lucky?

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:00 pm

Other points to consider in my chart :

Jupiter is Bhavam Vargottam
Jupiter is in Pushkara Navamsa

Jupiter in Pisces (trikona) for Rasi Tulya Navamsa
Venus in Libra (Kendra) for Rasi Tulya Navamsa

Venus the 11th lord is related to all the planets in the chart, even for Sun and Jupiter since Rahu disposits them and Venus conjuncts Rahu in the Ascendant. Mars, Moon and Saturn aspects Venus and Venus disposits Mercury.

In Nvamsa, for a Leo Ascendant, 2nd and 11th lords share a common rulership, Mercury, which is in the 11th itself. Mercury is also exalted in Virgo, the 2nd bhava, for savings.

The 9th lord in Navamsa is Mars found in 4th in own sign. 4th also shows savings of a more intense nature.

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:51 pm

Now we know from a past post the Gemini-Sagittarius axis is bad for a Cancer Ascendant because they overlay the 6th-12th axis and also these are 10th from the Virgo-Pisces axis which falls on the 3rd-9th. So Jupiter and Mercury becomes notoriously difficult for a Cancer Ascendant (less so for Jupiter since it is a trinal lord and it exalts in Cancer on the Ascendant as previously discussed) UNLESS the Gemini-Sagittarius axis has few planets OR fewer planets than the Virgo-Pisces axis OR some special condition like in my case Mercury is found in the 11th and Jupiter gets a NBRY.

As Gemini-Sagittarius are Rahu and Ketu moolatrikona signs based on BPHS, we can say the same that this 6th-12th axis is also quite strong if we look at it from Rahu and Ketu point of view.

(What has been said so far, is similarly applicable for a Capricorn Ascendant by the way).

In the case of the Cancer Ascendant (and also Capricorn Ascendant) there is actually a turnaround in the way things are if we continue look at the problem from Rahu and Ketu angle (but not from the Mercury and Jupiter angle). Can you guess what it is?

Taurus-Scorpio axis, where Rahu and Ketu are exalted respectively, falls on the 11th-5th axis. Since this axis is 12th from the 12th-6th axis, the malefic effects of the 12th-6th axis is squashed if we look at the picture from Rahu and Ketu angle.

So the nodes do well in a Cancer Ascendant chart. They promote gains, wisdom, discrimination and sudden windfall etc. Jupiter is also quite good as previously mentioned with the exception of a few conditions like if Jupiter is in Sagittarius in the 6th.

So Mercury is the only planet with the 100% stumbling block for a Cancer Ascendant, but since Virgo where Mercury exalts in the 3rd, and it is a mild dusthana, and 3rd represents initiative, most of the problems given by Mercury can be overcomed wit a little bit of effort on the part of the individual.

Regards
Hock Leong

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:44 am

How about Saturn for a Cancer Ascendant?

Now Saturn's exaltation sign is Libra. Libra is 9th from Aquarius. Thus the dictum :

If a particular Ascendant has Aquarius on a Dusthana, the MALEFIC effects are LESS because Libra can always help out things, it being the 9th from Aquarius.

On the other hand if a particular Ascendant has Capricorn on a Dusthana, the MALEFIC effects are MORE because of two reasons :

(1) Libra would be 10th to Capricorn. This means things signified by Capricorn on a Dusthana is going to blow out of proportion.

(1) Aquarius which would be 2nd to Capricorn, would support the malefic effects indicated by Capricorn.

Thus for a Leo Ascendant, Saturn is very bad, but for a Cancer Ascendant, Libra on the 4th house of happiness more or less diffuse the tension indicated by Aquarius on the 8th.

Best Regards
Hock Leong

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:05 am

Yes, yes.....one important point which I forgot to mention was that Anuradha was asking why Cancer Ascendant people EVENTUALLY end up as being rich individuals........

Well you see 4th house rules the condition in your old age and Venus rules the 4th for a Cancer Ascendant.....and as already mentioned, Venus also rules 11th house of gains, and Venus gets exalted in Pisces in the 9th for luck and father.

9th don't forget is the 11th of the 11th.

The only other Ascendant with the 11th lord having a sign on the 9th which is its exaltation place is the Virgo Ascendant. Here Moon, however, only rules 1 house. Virgo Ascendant people should cash in whenever they can like during Venus or Moon mahadasa. Virgo which is a soft sign (although critical and can be war-like sometimes), neatly ties in with the Venus and Moon to give an all round attractive personality. They should always use the soft approach in whatever they do.

Mars in their chart (Virgo Ascendant) rule two dusthanas, 3rd and 8th, and unless Mars gets a vipareet raja yoga (many ways which we have discussed), Mars dasa is especially problematic. Mars govern auspiciousness in a chart. If it is not auspicious, the person's entire fortune can be wiped out in a single moment. In case Virgo people exercise their authoritativeness, they come out as being back biting others - an example would be Tom Cruise who has a Virgo Ascendant.

Sun ruling 12th for a Virgo Ascendant person shows the person's public persona as a dignified person can sometimes fall from grace. Tom Cruise is again the example but recently he managed to salvage his image after his divorce from Nicole Kidman. This may be because for the 12th, Sun's natural karaka is enhanced, so it still stay strong despite 12th being the house of dissolution.

jcb
Donor
Donor

Post by jcb » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:11 am

Sir,

I am a Cancer ascendant with Jupiter in Pisces, Saturn in Capricorn and rest of the planets (Mars, Venus, Moon, Ketu, Mercury, Sun ) are in 6th House and Rahu in 12th house. Can you through some light on this planetary setup with inherent strengths and weaknesses.

DOB; 17-12-1963, Place: Tenali, AP, India, Time: 8:36 PM

Regards,
JCB

tanmish

Post by tanmish » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:08 pm

Hello JCB -

You have a unique chart with 6 planets in the 6H of debts, diseases, enemies. While this may have given you abundant power and courage in vanquishing foes/minimizing debts, it can adversely affect your health.

How is your health, now that you are in your 50s? Your 4H of house/family life/comforts is very strong. You'll be deeply rooted to your family, both ancestral and nuclear. Can you describe how the last 5-6 yrs of Rahu MD were for you? Your Rahu MD ends in approx 1 year from now.

The 6H direct aspects on 12H plus Rahu in 12H also may've taken you to foreign lands and perhaps, you're settled in a foreign country. "Foreign" here means far away from your birth place. Since you were born in India, you may be settled abroad or traveled frequently to many different countries.

Also, there's KSY (Kaal sarpa yoga) in operation too with all planets on one side of the Rahu-Ketu axis (here its 6-12). In your case, its more positive in manifestation, because Rahu in 12H makes one very ambitious, and all those planets in 6H will help you overcome whatever odds thrown your way.

But health is a totally different matter. We all age, and as we do, the degenerative effects of inflammatory diseases on our body (organs, tissues, fluids, even individual cells) starts to show its colors. I'm sure you realize that. Hope others chime in as well; my view is that your Rahu MD is very positive overall.

TM

jcb
Donor
Donor

Post by jcb » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:07 pm

Hello TM,

Thanks for your detailed analysis. I faced lot of headwinds in my career since last 5 years. Many ups and down almost in a sudden fashion. Due to luck or poorva punya every time I bounced back from the fall again mircally. Sometimes I myself surprised why I am falling down suddenly and bounced back again as dramatically.But I am able to pursue my higher studies (MBA) during 2012-2014 .

So far no health issues. Let us wait and see how destiny decides.
I follow Lahari ayanamsa and as you mentioned Rahu dasha has one more year to complete. But according to rRaman Ayanamsa, I am already running Jupiter Dasha. To me the happenings seems to be more close to Raman than Lahari in my observation. Right from begining I am in dilema which ayanamsa is more accurate.

Regards,
JCB

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:26 am

The other important thing is the Moon is ruling a kendra which happens to be also a trikona ie. this is the only Ascendant where Moon can be a Yogakaraka on its own.

Now we know Moon is Prakriti ie. nature and unless the Parabramha (the Supersoul within us) keeps in touch with the Moon (nature), she is non-existent even though she is always existing.

Moon by ruling a kendra, which is Vishnu's stantha, helps this Ascendant to always have the good opportunity to interact with the environment fruitfully PLUS Moon is a functional benefic for this Ascendant. And the interaction gives gains as a result since Taurus where Moon is exalted is overlaying the 11th bhavsa.

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:50 am

There is another point which most astrologers often overlook.

In Jaimini, mutable signs aspect themselves. This means that if a cardinal sign rises in the Ascendant, it is lucky. Why?

Because this means the cadent houses effect do not spill over to the cardinal houses and the succedent (fixed) houses. This can be a blessing especially if your apoklima houses are empty because this would mean the empty cadent houses cannot aspect other houses except amongst themselves. The cadent houses consist of 2 dusthanas (6th and the 12th), 1 minor dusthana (the 3rd) and the 9th is superlatively good. The 9th house would then erase the effects of the other 3 bad cadent houses at the same time that these 3 bad cadent houses do not spill their effect onto the other houses.

In my case, only my Sun is in the 12th, that is, only one planet is in the cadent houses angles. Venus placed 2nd to the Sun is also outside the effects of the heating rays of the Sun.

The only drawback in the overall idea above just discussed is that the 9th, a superlative house, unless it has Jupiter within it which would spill the beneficial influence of the 9th onto the Ascendant, much would have to depend on the 9th lord to see where it is placed.

My Jupiter although in the 8th has a strong Jaimini aspect onto the Ascendant - mutual aspect between Aquarius and Cancer. Jupiter in its own Navamsa plus Jupiter as Bhavam Vargottam plus an aspect from a retrogade Saturn onto it forming a Yogakaraka combination Saturn being the 7th lord and Jupiter being the 9th lord, saved it from sinking into oblivion.

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:08 am

Other considerations of my Jupiter 9th lord :

It aspects the Sun, the only planet in the apoklima angles, again erasing any dusthana effects.

Jupiter is in the 8th (which also happens to be near Pushkara Bhaga) also helps to erase the dusthana effects of the 8th, not the least of which there is a strong vipareet raja yoga for which Jupiter is exalted in Aquarius and ruling the 6th bhava as well.

The dusthanas are completely squashed by the 9th and Jupiter...........while Mars and 5th handles the "progress"in life.

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:15 am

Also no other planets aspect my Sun by the way ...... giving the Sun full fledge power in participating the spiritual yoga for which it is a part (natural benefics 12th, 2nd and 8th from it and Sun is the 2nd lord).

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:59 am

My Mars is AmK and Jupiter is BK also helps to dovetail their roles as promised by the above features of the chart.

AmK usually helps in material achievement.

BK usually helps in spiritual growth.

BOTH are required for sustained prosperity.

Khoo Hock Leong
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Khoo Hock Leong » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:45 am

The other thing about Cancer Ascendant is that the Dusthana Lords are :

Jupiter (6th Bhava)
Saturn (8th Bhava)
Mercury (12th and 3rd Bhava)

First and foremost I want to add that it is WORSE to have the lord of the Dusthana to be an enemy to the Ascedant Lord Moon than for the Ascendant Lord Moon to be the enemy to the said respective Dusthana Lord. This is because the welfare of the Ascendant must always come first.

Thus Mercury is friendly to the Moon even though Moon is enemy to Mercury means that the 3rd and 12th bhavas would not do much harm to the Cancer Ascendant.

Jupiter is neutral to the Moon even though Moon is friendly to Jupiter. But then Jupiter is exalted in Cancer which Moon rules and that makes all the difference.

Saturn and Moon are both mutual enemies. So the 8th bhava may pose some challenges to the Cancer Ascendant but Saturn for a Cancer Ascendant is functionally neutral going by Parasara classification of functional malefics, functional neutrals and functional malefics for various Ascendant types.

Now look at my Cancer Ascendant.

6th lord goes to the 8th. So Jupiter also sits in the 8th in its exaltion sign and Bhavam Vargottam and Pushkara Navamsa. So the 8th bhava further poses no problem for me on top of the caveat mentioned above for the 8th bhava. Also Vipareet Raja Yoga exists between the 6th and 8th bhavas.

Mercury ruling the 3rd and 12th bahvas goes to the 11th bhava further adding to its beneficence even though it may be one sided functional malefic (one-sided in the sense mentioned above for the general Cancer Ascendant).

Rahu goes to Cancer in the 1st. Rahu thus play an important co-ruler to Gemini and Aquarius in my Cancer Ascendant chart. Because Cancer is the exaltation place of Jupiter which is a Sattvic planet, Rahu's inauspiciousness is rendered nil and thus the 8th and 12th bhavas evil propensities are also correspondingly diluted.

Other signs which Rahu does well in the Ascendant are Aires and Taurus, the exaltation places of the Sun and Moon respectively, the other two Sattvic planets.

Best Regards
Hock Leong

ashy

Post by ashy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:15 pm

I have a Cancer ascendant, but I've had to face hardships for a while now. Mostly related to health and education (because Saturn is in 5th house in his enemy sign of Scorpio). My Venus is also in a bad place in the 8th house conjunct Mercury.

My Jupiter is in the 9th house but combust and weak due to Sun and Rahu sitting with him. Ketu is in 3rd house, which is a good placement for a malefic, but he's sitting with Virgo which isn't a good sign for him.

In my D9 chart, Jupiter is sitting in navamsa lagna (Libra) where he is weak. But 9th lord sitting in 1st Navamsa house I am told is a very good placement.

But both Saturn (atmakaraka) and Mercury (amatyakaraka) are sitting in 6th house (Pisces) in Navamsa. While I am told this is a moksha placement, according to Jaimini rules, I've had issues with health and career. Can someone tell me when things will improve for me on both ends?

Birth details - Name: Ashwin | Date of birth: 31 March 1987 | Time: 13:45 (1:45pm) |Place of birth: Chennai

Regards,
Ashwin

dulcinea
Newly Registered User
Newly Registered User

Post by dulcinea » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:44 am

For Cancer Ascendant, Saturn by ruling a kendra, also helps this Ascendant to always have opportunities to interact with the masses signified by Saturn. And Saturn ruling the dusthana also gives tremendous hardship which will ultimately prove helpful in cleansing the person.

AD Shrivastava

Post by AD Shrivastava » Tue May 03, 2016 8:21 am

Well I do not think is that much Lucky.

I am struggling with serious career hickups where I lost job twice in last 4 yrs,again jobless without any substantial financial or position achievements in 16+ years experience in p8rivate job in telecom domain.Currently running Mercury MD>Merc AD sincr June 2015 and I lost job in Dec 2015.Before that I lost in Dec 2012 and after joblessness of around 1.25 yrs I got new job that too on contract and low paid.Recently in May 2015 I got good job but lost due to some disciplinary document issue. Pls check when Vargottam Mercury and malefic in lagan will good stable and viable job and what could be remedial measures to make it happen early.Details are as below:
DOB: 17-02-1971
POB: Vidisha (M.P), India
TOB: 04:02 AM

I am financially ruined and on brink of povertyhood.Any of gentleman I'm forum Pls analyse deep and help me with all aspect's good or bad.

Rgds
AD Shrivastava

AD Shrivastava

Post by AD Shrivastava » Tue May 03, 2016 3:59 pm

Correction DOB is 17.08.1971