Sidreal Vs Tropic

For discussion on the Jaimini system: use of karakas, Jaimini aspects, chara dasha or other Jaimini dashas, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
Kannan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Sidreal Vs Tropic

Post by Kannan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:48 am

Are there astrologers in India who follow Tropical system (Sayana) for prediction

Kannan

Krishna
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Krishna » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:35 pm

In India, the Nirayana system is used not only in astrology but also the calender dates for celebration of some of the festivals such as Makara Sankranti (Pongal) which is the date of the entry of Sun into the sign Capricorn. That's why pongal falls on 14 / 15th January every year. Had the sayana system been used, it would fall on 21 / 22nd of December each year.

Some where I read that in the ancient days, the sayana system was used in temples of Tamil Nadu for the celebration of festivals but I am afraid I don't know any details.

Thanks and Regards,
Krishna

Kannan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Kannan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:09 pm

Thank you,Krishna. I know mostly Nirayana chart is in use, but are there rare cases in favour of Sayana system. Years back one eminent astrologer was corresponding with B V Raman's Astrological Magazine arguing in favour of Sayana system. I do not remember the details. Can someone throw more light on this.

Kannan

Krishna
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Krishna » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:10 pm

There is a Kashmiri Pundit / Astronomer / Astrologer Avtar Krishen Kaul, who has discussed at length in favour of Sayana System in his article, "Do we celebrate our festivals on the correct days?" This article is in the Arya Samaj website at:
http://www.aryasamaj.org/eng_art/do_cel ... n_time.htm

It is a very lengthy article and describes his use of sayana and nirayana systems with different ayanamsas and how he found sayana to be better. I think some kashmiri panchangs follow sayana.

Thanks and Regards,
Krishna

Kannan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Kannan » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:34 am

Thanks again. Yes I read the article. But are there practical users of Sayana tool. Do they teach Sayana system also in astrology classes (courses) I doubt. What other readers have to say in this regard.

Kannan

Kannan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Kannan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:12 pm

Krishna

Adding to the above input, I am not happy with the results achieved in Nirayana system both in Native and Horary charts. I have been an ordant follower of Nirayana format partcularly the Stellar astrology profounded by KP. Still the predicted results do not touch even 50% achievement. On the otherhand the Sayana charts tested in Horary have given reasonably good results. It is only in this connection I wanted to share the experince of others in using Sayans system in India, particularly how do they accomadate the constellation aspect in Sayana

Kannan

Krishna
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Krishna » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:58 pm

Kannan,

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

When you tested Sayana charts in Horary, did you apply the same rules that are there in Indian Prasna Astrology or did you use some other (maybe Western ) rules?

Also, did you try other tests, like Vimshottari Dasha system, Gochara etc., with Sayana charts?

Thanks and Regards,
Krishna

Kannan
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Kannan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:44 pm

Krishna

I applied Vimshodri Dasa -Bhukthi system on Sayana chart but the results are not encouraging. Evidently , I feel, this system itself is a misfit , be it Nirayans or Sayana. But in Horary, western Sayana analysis yields reasonably good results. But nothing is conclusive as the test was based on a few samples only in all these cases . At present I am testing the Natural Mahadasa System advocated by Varahamihira both in Nirayana and Sayana. I have no experience in Secondary progression used in the west. But as you know majority of the westerners do not do predictions generally as we do and they concentrate on character sketch and psychology because the western world emphasizes on free will rather than on fate .More and more use of Horary is now widespread in the west particularly in UK. Krishna, the anamolous situation is like this: Pandits like in Kashmir in India are codemning Nirayana while some westerners like Ken Browser are promoting the use of Nirayana. Ultimately the readers and young astrplogers are confused Pl. refer the site
http:/www. westernsidrealastrology.com

Kannan

Krishna
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Krishna » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:37 am

Kannan,

Thank you for the response.

To answer your earlier question, I found this website while browsing and they seem to advocate the sayana system.

http://www.leoastro.com/about.htm
LEOASTRO.COM
Plot # 39,
Indrapuri Railway Colony,
West Marredpally,
SECUNDERABAD-500 026
INDIA

Hope this information helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Krishna

Kannan
Frequent Contributor