GRAAM DEVATA, KULA DEVATA AND ISHTA DEVATA

Any other questions not listed above.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
R V RAMANAN
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

GRAAM DEVATA, KULA DEVATA AND ISHTA DEVATA

Post by R V RAMANAN » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:51 am

Dear All

There is a tremendous confusion regarding the existence of the above said devataas and the benefits from worshipping them.

Let us start with the graam devata. The classical texts say that you have to see the 4th house from D20. Graama literally interpreted means a village where people lived. In every village just on the outskirts a deity was installed and proper poojas were done on a very regular basis. The graama adhikari used to sit under the sthala vriksha of the above said place and all the affairs of the village were decided there. The deity was supposed to protect the people from epidemics and save the crops and was responsible for the general welfare of the people.

Aeons before people used to love the village they lived and hardly left it unless there were compelling reasons. Nowadays, people have started to leave their villages looking for greener pastures and more sophisticated life. Due to urbanisation villages hardly exist. And even if they do they still dont have those temples or those long statues which represented the graama devata and hardly any worship is ever done.

In the present context we can interpret a village as probably the locality we live and that locality has many temples (nowadays, temples are being built for reasons best known only to god) each one trying to build a temple better than the one which existed already with great pomp and show with funds collected either by coersion or force.

As we move from place to place either because of our work or any other reason, I dont think the Graama devata concept works at all.

Classical texts have given very much importance to this but as we all know there are postulates which talk of combinations for suffering from small pox. Since small pox is eradicated that particular combination does not hold good anymore. So we can do away with GRAAMA DEVATA.

Now, Coming to kula devata

Kula is abundantly misconstrued as family in this present context. Kula broadly interpreted is lineage. As we can see from the sita rama stotra by hanuman which goes like this

"Raghu naam Kuladeepam cha Nimi Naam kula deepikaam
Surya vamsa samudhbootham Soma vamsa Samudhbhavaam"

Which means Rama belonged to the ravi kula and sita devi was a soma vanshi. In those days when marriages were within the family (Kula) not divulging even from the subsect, the kula devata concept held good. but not anymore.

If the charts could say who is our kula devata then after your mother comes into your father's family your father's kula devata becomes her kula devata. Then her kula devata from her chart does not have any meaning, more so, if the marriage is intercaste or even inter-religious.

The next is Ishta devata

This is seen from the 12th to AK in d20. This deity is unique and is for individual liberation.

From what little I have understood from my great masters and gurus there is only one devata for any body.

For all material problems it is the 12th from karakamsa. The navamsa being the signifactor of dharma which is the first of the 4 purusharthas all normal day to day affairs and problems arising out of them can be solved if prayed to the deity represented by the 12th from atmakaraka in navamsa.

For all spiritual purposes the deity is represented by the 12th from atmakaraka in d20.

In this ultra modern world the graama devatas and kula devatas dont seem to have much meaning.

Hope this clarifies.

regards
ramanan

astroduffer
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: GRAAM DEVATA, KULA DEVATA AND ISHTA DEVATA

Post by astroduffer » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:17 am

Thanks Ramanan for this wonderful post.

Regarding Graama devta and Kula devata I would like to add that although these have no significance for today, they need to be pacified in case there is wrath of a deity signified by badhakesh related placement and associations. In such cases, the badhakesh effects can be overcome only by worshiping the deity that was neglected in previous birth (If it is Grama or a Kula devata). There are various combinations that would indicate this and varies from chart to chart.

Rest all is absolutely spot on.

Regards
Sonu

kabir
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kabir » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:19 pm

Thanks Ramananji for such a wonderful post,

In my case in navamsa chart AK (Saturn) is in meena and in the 12th from the AK i.e. in the kumbh (Aquarius) there are no planets so my isht devta i think would be the lord of the aquarius means saturn. I don't know whether i am right or not but as per your post i think my isht devta would be Hanumanji.

And in case of D20 chart 12th from AK is the Aries with no planets in it.

So if possible i would be thankful to you if you tell me about my isht devta.

It is really an good posts.
My Birth details: DOB: 29th april 1984
Time: 02:29AM
Place: Amreli, Gujarat, India

Thanks and regards

R V RAMANAN
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by R V RAMANAN » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:31 pm

dear sonu

yes i agree with you fully regarding the propitiations that needs to be done for these devatas

regards

ramanan

R V RAMANAN
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by R V RAMANAN » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:35 pm

dear kabir

regarding yr navamsa it is hanuman or shri rudra but u see hanuman is also the 11th rudra .so hanumanji is absolutely fine.regarding the 12th from vimsamsa being aries the deity naturally is karthikeya.

hope this clarifies

regards

ramanan

R V RAMANAN
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by R V RAMANAN » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:26 am

Dear Theyearn-ed

Pls. read my First Post in this thread.

Regards
Ramanan

mannu21
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mannu21 » Thu May 19, 2011 9:15 pm

Ramanan ji

Namaskar,

Very nice post indeed.

For a very long time I was looking for a way to find Ishta Devta. 12th from karakamsa in my chart is Leo sign, so Sun should be my Ishta Devta, am I right ?

Thanks to LOVA, I get to know something new and informative everyday.

A special thanks to you Ramanan ji for this informative post.

Warm regards

Mannu
May Sai Bless All !

Waterbearer

Post by Waterbearer » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:35 am

R V RAMANAN wrote:Dear All
The next is Ishta devata

This is seen from the 12th to AK in d20. This deity is unique and is for individual liberation.

From what little I have understood from my great masters and gurus there is only one devata for any body.

For all material problems it is the 12th from karakamsa. The navamsa being the signifactor of dharma which is the first of the 4 purusharthas all normal day to day affairs and problems arising out of them can be solved if prayed to the deity represented by the 12th from atmakaraka in navamsa.

For all spiritual purposes the deity is represented by the 12th from atmakaraka in d20.
Mr R V Ramanan, Can you please tell me what would be the ishta devata in case there are more than 1 graha ? The answer I believe is choose the strongest graha, but what does the term strongest gaha really imply? Does it mean the graha with more shadbala or higher longitude?

Also once after the planet is chosen,I simply have to see its nakshatra & the diety ruling the nakshatra right? For instance, if Shani is the ishta devata & is in Uttarbhadrapada, the diety will be Ahirbudhanya right?
Last edited by Waterbearer on Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
The absence of love is the most abject pain. -Nosferatu

R V RAMANAN
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by R V RAMANAN » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:01 pm

Dear waterbearer,
By the word strongest planet, i mean the shadbala and not the longitude. For example: what is the point in calling a planet with the highest longitude if it is combust or debilitated,...strong

If in case, you see that the planet to be propitiated is Saturn, then the deity which is shri Rudra or Hanuman-ji needs to be propitiated.. or prayed to..

The nakshatra deity is not considered.. Look at the whole thing this way. The earth revolves around its axis and at different times the oblique ascencion from the place where you are standing to either sun or the planets changes. A planet can be good or bad depending upon its functionality notwithstanding its natural traits. For example, a malefic like saturn does well in upachayas. But, it is not the case with stars. Stars dont move in any given matrix of time & space.

The qualities of the nakshatra are fixed and they dont change. A planet posited in a say 6th star from your janma thara may give good results whereas the same planet if placed in the 7th star may not do you good. But, here the relativity is because of the position and placement of your Moon and not the stars. Stars are fixed and they influence the planets in a certain way always. So, prayers to the deity represented by the star is not going to alter the bearing of the star on the planet which is placed in that star in any way.

Because of the movement of planets, the relative position of the native in question keeps on changing offering a scope and improvement in the influence of the planet on the person. Hence, propitiations are fruitful much much more to the deities represented by the planets than by the nakshatras.

You may ask me as to why all people born in a particular nakshatra do not have the same characteristics. Let us say, a person is born in Pushya. The results are modified not because the qualities OR their influence of the nakshatra changes but the qualities represented by the star is modified by conjunction or aspect or position of other planets.

In my experience, I have seen many nakshatra shanthi poojas done but the effects have been very minimal if not nil. Hope I made my point clear.

Trust this helps
Regards,
Ramanan

rvenkats
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rvenkats » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:23 am

Dear Ramananji,

I have a quick question on the shadbala itself. Based on reading BV Raman's work I am using the % strength of the planet i.e. Shadbala divided by the minimum shadbala a planet needs to be strong (like 5.5 for Shukra, 7 for Budha) rather than the Shadbala itself. Which is the right thing to do?

Regards,
Venkat

R V RAMANAN
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by R V RAMANAN » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:27 am

Dear rvenkats

The % is correct rather than the numbers because it tells you whether it is more or less than the necessary quantity.

Regards
Ramanan

rvenkats
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rvenkats » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:43 am

Ramanan - sir,

Thanks for the clarification.

Regards,
Venkat

Waterbearer

Post by Waterbearer » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:36 am

Mr Ramanan, thankyou for the reply.
The absence of love is the most abject pain. -Nosferatu

uvio
Newly Registered User
Newly Registered User

Post by uvio » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:57 am

Dear sir

for my daughter
atmakaraka is moon with 310 degrees She was born on shukla shashti
unfortunately saturn is vargottama and also in lagna in cancer in navamsa in parivarthan and full mtual aspect by moon in 7th. In rasi saturn is in 8 in parivarthan with moon in 3rd. her birthday 17 dec 2004 7 15am chennai
navamsa -12th from moon dhanus lorded over by jupiter with retrograde mercury (lord of maraka and badhaka in rashi) in it.

d20 moon in own house in 4th house from lagna and of course 12th house lord again is mercury but no planets.

who is her ishta devata
will she have long life as she has to go through both shani and budha dasha

please do give idea

R V RAMANAN
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by R V RAMANAN » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:08 pm

Dear Uvio,

I use a different setting.Your daughters Atma karaka is mars and her devata for all purposes is Mahalakshmi.

No need to worry about her longevity.

regards
ramanan

gus108

Post by gus108 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:20 pm

Om sri Ganeshaya namah
Excelent article

uvio
Newly Registered User
Newly Registered User

Post by uvio » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:13 am

Dear Sir,

I do appreciate your taking time to answer. Your answer is very interesting because in my husband's jatakam venus is neecham (but he has a strong cancellation apparently) and in mine mars is neecham (my cancellation is not so strong they say) and we were told we may have trouble having kids. However, he is a Mahalakshmi bhaktan and would invariably go to temple every friday for almost 20 years. He also had taken a Mahalakshmi mantra due to some psychic affinity with this goddess. I conceived just one month after marriage and though it was planned ceasarian due to some issues by God's grace she was born OK. In fact, I have already taught her the Lakshmi Ashtotram. She does like Lakshmi very much but seems to love Lord Krishna only.

regards
A. S

navall
Contributor
Contributor

Post by navall » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:57 am

Dear R V RAMANAN Sir,

My query is regarding how to find particular Ishta Devata, Like in india we pray for so many gods

and everyone is born with his/her Ishta devta to be worshiped, so my question is how wud we recognise for following Deities
1 Saraswati Maa 2 Baglamukhi Maa 3 Maa Kaali and etc

and to add more, Avatars of Lord Vishnu, how to recognise that somone has Krishna and otherone has Rama as Ishta,though both are Lord Vishnu's avatar.

Why i am asking to identify this, because few days before an eminent astrologer In India Mr.Pawan Sinha on his program in TV channel said those having strong Moon and Venus will be attracted towrds Lord Krishna, and those with Strong Jup and Moon will worship Lord Rama.

Hope u will clarify the whole thing.
Warm Regards,

Naval

navall
Contributor
Contributor

Post by navall » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:03 pm

Resp Ramana Sir,

Pls clarify.
Warm Regards,

Naval

Hari76

Post by Hari76 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:21 pm

Dear Ramanan Sir͵
Very informative post. Recently I read about a concept called Isht Devata & Mukhya Grah. It has been popularised by “Astro uncle“ in a popular Hindi tv channel. He states that͵ instead of praying to various deities/wearing several gemstones͵ it would be better to pray to Isht Devata alone͵ and concentrate solely on strengthening the Mukhy graha in the horoscope thru various means. Would you care to elaborate on this please.

YogiYugesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by YogiYugesh » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:46 am

Dear learned modern vedic Rishis,
I was wondering wouldn't it be very nice to put name of Deity for each Planetes and Sign so we can see our self with the help of above information our Ishta Devata?
Namaste

subbhu
Newly Registered User
Newly Registered User

Post by subbhu » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:56 pm

Dear Mr.Raman,

Pls check my details tell me which is my ista devatha. I going thru difficult patch for last 3 years and dont know what to do. I have already posted my concern in Money Section. All these years i didnt pray or do much religious activities. I have done whichever required to satisfy my parents if they require to do anything on religious front including take them to temples etc.

DOB:27/06/74
POB:Chennai
TOB :3.45 pm

Regds
Subbhu