Shoola Dasha v/s Niryana Shoola Dasha

For discussion on the dashas (predictive systems): vimshottari, yogini, or other conditional dashas like shodashottari, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
SoulLight
Contributor
Contributor

Shoola Dasha v/s Niryana Shoola Dasha

Post by SoulLight » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:24 pm

Can someone please tell me the difference between Shoola Dasha and Niryana Shoola Dasha?

Haresh Kumar
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Shoola Dasha v/s Niryana Shoola Dasha

Post by Haresh Kumar » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:17 am

Hi

The sign based Dasas are fundamental to the Jamini System.

Those in common usage are.

1. Chara-Dasa
2. Sthira-Dasa
3. Nirayana-Shoola-Dasa
4. Navamsa-Dasa.

That is the norm.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Generally 1. NSD - Niryana-Shoola-Dasa - and 2. Sthira-Dasa are used to calculate longevity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The confusion occurs because there are different schools of thought.
The method used for Shoola in one resembles Nirayana Shoola Dasa in another.

The Nirayana Shoola Dasa in one is like the Sthira Dasa generally used by others.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the book 'Vedic Astrology - An Integrated Approach' by Shri PVR Narsimha Rao the following methodology is given for computing Shoola and Nirayana Shoola Dasa.

Shoola Dasa and Nirayana Shoola Dasa are both used for computing the period of death.(primarily) and for suffering/ disease etc.

In Shoola Dasa the first or seventh house whichever is stronger is the starting point. The Dasas always move in clockwise direction. There is a fixed 9 year period for each Dasa. The sub periods are calculated in the same way..

In Nirayana Shoola Dasa the stronger of the second and eight houses is taken as a starting point. If that sign is odd ( Aries (1) Gemini (3) Leo (5) etc ) you move in a clockwise direction. If even (Taurus (2) Cancer (4) Virgo (6) etc ) you move in an anti clockwise direction. The Dasa periods of moveable signs (Aries/Cancer/Libra/Capricorn) are 7 years , fixed signs (Taurus/Leo/Scorpio/Aquarius) 8 years and dual signs (Gemini/Virgo/Sagittarius/Pisces ) 9 years. The sub periods are calculated in the same way by most astrologe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sign occupied by Rudra is called Shula and its trines signs called Trishula. The Trishula are capable/have a propensity to cause affliction and death. Alternately the sign in the second from Rudra (sign with Rudra in the 12th) has malefic powers to cause death.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Other astrologers use NSD ( Nirayana Shoola Dasa) and Sthira Rasa.

NSD ( Nirayana Shoola Dasa) Method followed by Shri K.N. Rao is as follows :-

The start sign is from Lagna if the sign is odd (like Aries (1) ) and the seventh if the sign is even (like Taurus (2)). Each sign period is 9 years and sub period is 9 months. This is similar to Shoola Dasa above.

Again some calculate NSD by which of 1st and 7th house is stronger.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sthira Dasa is similar to NSD (7 years for moveable signs, 8 years for fixed signs and 9 years for dual signs) above except in calculation of the starting point. Adhyaya 2 Panda 3 Sutra 4 states that Sthira Dasa commences from the Rasi occupied by Bramha. (Brahmadiresha). This is followed by Shri K.N. Rao. Smt. Akilesha Kumari delved in this subject and has thrown a lot of light on it she being wih Sri K.N. Rao, and his team at the Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The confusion seems to occur when concept of the calculation of Rudra is used to compute Dasa.

When in doubt I follow Shri K.N. Rao

Best regards

SoulLight
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SoulLight » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:52 pm

Well Thank you Hareshkumarji for the in-depth info.

I am using Parashari light Geovision Software and my
Niryana Shoola Dasha seq is Cp-Sc-Le-Ta-Aq-Li-Cn-Ar-Pi-Sg-Vi-Ge.
Currently running Libra Dasha from Dec-24-2015 to Dec-24-2027
Now do I have to take Lord of the 2nd-8th house and calculate shoola and trishulas from there or do I still consider Rudra?
The software says my Rudra is Mars- so do I consider Shoola as Mars and Trishulas from there?

My Shoola seq is Ta-Ge-Cn-Le-Vi-Li-Sc-Sg-Cp-Aq-Pi-Ar.
Currently running Leo Dasha from Dec-24-2010 to Dec-24-2019.
Here do I have to take the Lord of 1st-7th house or again calculate Shoola and Trishula using Rudra?
So basically my question is Which are my shoola and trishula rashis?
Dec-24-1983, 16:20, 21:46 N, 72:11 E

Thank you!
SL

Haresh Kumar
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Haresh Kumar » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:55 am

Hi,

These are all good questions.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the questions relates to
1. Rudra its relevance and method of computation.
2. The length of the Dasas
3. Nirayana Shoola Dasa
4. Shoola Dasa.

1. Rudra : Now this is a planet which assumes importance because the sign which it occupies and its trines (the 5th and 9th from it) and the sign in the 2nd from it (the sign with Rudra in the twelfth from it) are considered to be lethal At a very elemental level these four signs can prove fatal depending on when they manifest in a persons life; the earlier signs and later signs proving fatal depending on the longevity of the individual being Very Short (Balarishta), Short (Alpayu) Medium (Madhyayu) and Long (Purnayu). Now if a person is destined to live long the earlier sign periods can give rise to problems or bodily affliction.

The formula to find Rudra is very sensible, logical and practical, the stronger of the lords of the eighth from the Lagna and from the seventh house is called Rudra (or to be more specific Prani Rudra).The eighth house from the Lagna is Ayur Bhava . The seventh house from Lagna is Maraka Sthan (death dealing house) and the eighth from it is the second house which another powerful Maraka Sthan (the second and seventh houses being the primary determinants of death). So the choice is logical. On this there is consensus. Rudra : The stronger of the two planets becomes Rudra. If the weaker planet is afflicted, it can also become Rudra.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So to answer your question Rudra is calculated from the lords of the eighth from Lagna and the 7th which is technically the 2nd and the 8th.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The method of calculation relates to the eighth house from the Lagna and the eighth house from the seventh house, whichever being stronger, the lord of which becomes Rudra.

Now in the case mentioned below the Lagna is Capricorn and Rudra is eighth from the seventh house (Cancer) which is ruled by Saturn, so Rudra is mentioned as Saturn. (Now he follows Mr.KN Rao's method. ) ( here NSD has a fixed period of 9 years per sign period.).

http://www.mundaneastro.org/?p=822
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another method followed which is mentioned in the book 'Vedic Astrology - An Integrated Approach' by Shri PVR Narsimha Rao, the following houses are considered the 'eighth house' for calculation purposes.

TABLE 32.

Aries - Scorpio
Taurus - Gemini
Gemini -Capricorn
Cancer- Sagittarius
Leo - Cancer
Virgo - Aquarius
Libra - Taurus
Scorpio - Sagittarius
Sagittarius - Cancer
Capricorn - Gemini
Aquarius - Capricorn
Pisces - Leo.

He has further gone on to discuss the horoscope of Rajiv Gandhi.
(I am putting a link to Rajiv Gandhi's Chart for clarity)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am reproducing his analysis verbatim.

. Example 85: Let us consider Rajiv Gandhi’s chart (see Chart 39).
He was assassinated in May 1991. (August 20 1944 8.11 am.(( war time) (- 1) (IST) at Mumbai 72E49 18.58)

Rudra is the stronger of the 8th lords from Leo (Lagna) and Aquarius (seventh from Lagna)

So Rudra is the stronger of Moon and Saturn (see Table 32 - the details above). Moon is stronger and he becomes Rudra. He is in Leo. So Trishoola spikes are in Aries, Leo and Sagittarius.. Being a Trishoola rasi, Aries can kill.

The 2nd house is stronger than the 8th house, as it is occupied by a planet (Mars). Dasas start from Virgo. It is an even Rasi and so Dasas go backwards. We get Virgo Dasa of 9 years, Leo dasa of 8 years, Cancer Dasa of 7 years, Gemini Dasa of 9 years, Taurus Dasa is of 8 years and Aries Dasa of 7 years. Aries Dasa ran during Aug 1985-Aug 1992. Mr. Gandhi died in this dasa.
You can check Rajiv Gandhi's horoscope from here
http://www.ganeshaspeaks.com/blog_rajiv ... sis.action

So this is fairly straight forward and clicks. Now in this hypothetical situation if his life span had been full (Purnayu) the fatal period may have come in Sagittarius which is third Trishula or spike in the triad.

This is other type of Nirayana Shoola Dasa. The Dasa periods are 7 years for moveable signs, 8 for fixed signs and 9 for common signs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now in your case you say your program declares Rudra is Mars. I can't understand the logic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rudra should be either be Jupiter or Mercury if you go by the first method of computation. (As your Ascendant is Taurus and the seventh house is Scorpio).

If you follow the second method of computation (with the tables ) it still has to be Mercury or Jupiter. It should be Jupiter because Sagittarius houses three planets.

Now both are placed in the same sign Sagittarius so the triad should be Sagittarius, Aries and Leo. the other sign should be Capricorn which is the second from the sign having Rudra (the sign in which Rudra is in the twelfth).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another discrepancy is that the Nirayana Shoola Dasa sequence starts from Capricorn in your case. (It should either start from Scorpio in the first method followed by KN Rao the ascendant being even or if the second method is followed it should have started in your eighth house which houses three planets and it being an odd sign it should have moved forward with Sagittarius (common sign) 9 years, Capricorn (moveable sign) 7 years Aquarius (fixed sign) 8 years and so on.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cont'd....
Last edited by Haresh Kumar on Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Haresh Kumar
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Haresh Kumar » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:06 am

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know how the Rudra arrived at was Mars or how the period of Libra is 12 years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Chara Dasa has a Libra period of 12 years but it starts from 24.12.2025 and ends on 24.12.2037. But that is Chara Rasa not NSD.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont think NSD has a period of 12 years whichever method you take. And why does it start from Capricorn???

This is what seems to be apparent. There could be another method or explanation.

SoulLight
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SoulLight » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:30 pm

Hello Hareshkumar ji,
Thanks again for the info.
I had calculated earlier Rudra as Jupiter as 2nd Lord Mercury in 8th is weak and 8th lord Jupiter in 8th is in its Moolatrikona + ranks 2nd highest in Shadbalas with 503 points and 8.39 Rupas whereas Mercury has 388 points, 6.47 Rupas and 6th highest in Shadbala.
Now if we take Jupiter in 8th in Saggi, then Saggi + Aries and Leo becomes Trishulas and currently running Leo.

My only problem came during Niryana Shoola Dasha as dasha rashi sequence is diff. I checked again and the dasha seq. is starting from Capricorn only and Just during start of Jaimini System the software displays "special points" and in there it shows
Brahma: Venus,
Maheshwara: Venus
Rudra: Mars (not sure why Mars)
Currently I don't have a way to attach the file but I did re-check to confirm the start of Niryana Shoola Dasha Seq which says Capri. So according to Niryana Shoola Dasha, it shows currently running Scorpio.

Anyways, I guess Shoola sounds more accurate. I had studied this Shoola Dasha from Sanjay Rath
http://srath.com/jyotiṣa/dasa/shula-dasha And Even I don't see connection of Rudra to be Mars. Your above given examples too makes sense. I am not sure what is Niryana Shoola Dasha there for then if we can find Death from Shoola Dasha? Some say it shows death like sufferings and death.

Thanks!
SL