How Parashara's Brhat Parasara Hora Sastra became Gospel...

For discussion on any other astrology topics like birth rectification, prashna, muhurta, mundane astrology, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
Saindhavi
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Saindhavi » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:36 pm

PLEASE DO NOT BRING CHARTS FOR READING HERE.

This is a very interesting description of how one text began to displace many others in the course of its "Biography".

For a student of history, this is nothing unusual, because this happens with a lot of texts from the past.

But others should also know about this process that is very common for ancient texts.

I do not wish to engage in any arguments over this.

I firmly believe that we all have a right to believe what we feel correct and no one should force another to change his/her viewpoint by forcibly drawing him/her into an argument.

If you don't agree with someone's opinion, please don't get into an argument over it. It's not the end of the world or life.

I plan to take a short break from this site, so please don't address questions or chart readings specifically for me.

Here is the full article. Do read it in full -

http://shyamasundaradasa.com/jyotish/re ... /bphs.html

Havan Manuals -

http://www.lightonvedicastrology.com/phpBB3_0/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12791&p=124553#p124488

hymns -

1 http://www.vignanam.org/

2 http://www.lightonvedicastrology.com/phpBB3_0/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11446&start=75#p93038

basab14
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: How Parashara's Brhat Parasara Hora Sastra became Gospel

Post by basab14 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:57 am

Thank you for the link, Saindhavi ji. Will go through it. Hope to see you back soon.
"Go thou and follow Him, who was born and gave His life for others five hundred times before He attained the vision of the Buddha!" -- Swami Vivekananda

jegdis5
Donor
Donor

Post by jegdis5 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:04 am

Have a good rest and come back soon Saindhavi Ji

anuradha
Donor
Donor

Post by anuradha » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:14 am

by Saindhavi » 290812

PLEASE DO NOT BRING CHARTS FOR READING HERE.

This is a very interesting description of how one text began to displace many others in the course of its "Biography".

For a student of history, this is nothing unusual, because this happens with a lot of texts from the past.

But others should also know about this process that is very common for ancient texts.

I do not wish to engage in any arguments over this.

I firmly believe that we all have a right to believe what we feel correct and no one should force another to change his/her viewpoint by forcibly drawing him/her into an argument.

If you don't agree with someone's opinion, please don't get into an argument over it. It's not the end of the world or life.

I plan to take a short break from this site, so please don't address questions or chart readings specifically for me.

Here is the full article. Do read it in full -

Havan Manuals -

http://www.lightonvedicastrology.com/ph ... 53#p124488

hymns -

2 http://www.lightonvedicastrology.com/p
Saindhviji, Actually the material of astrology on internet is quite misleading. I personally have six translation of B.P.H.S, four of which is from Varansi and commentary done by the scholars of astrology.
1 B.P.H.S by Sita Ram Jha[ Master Kheri Lal Sankata Prasad, Varansi, Samvat 2025 , 1968]
2. B.P.H.S By Pt Devendra Jha[Chokhambha Sanskrit Sansthan, Varansi,Samvat, 2030, 1973]
3. B.P.H.S By pt Sh Ganesh Dutt Phatak[Shri Thakur Prasad Pustak Bhandar, Kachuri Gali, Varansi, 1992]
4. B.P.H.S by Pt Padnabh Sharma[ Chaokhamba Subarti Prakashan, Varansi, 2007]
5.B.P.H.S by Pt Tarachand and Pt Kamakhya Prasad[ Khem Raj shri Krishna Dass Prakashan, Mumbai 1993]
All the above translations were done by the H.O.D in Sanskrit Maha Vidyalya of Varansi and Muzaffarpur[ Bihar]. All the translations are quite similar with few difference in interpretation of shlokas.I personally do not feel that they all the wrong B.P.H.S. If I get the chance to be in Varansi I will let you know the exact year of the first edition of the above books .regards
A person should not be too honest. Straight trees are cut first and honest people are screwed first.
“Reasoning with a drunkard is like
Going under water with a torch to seek for a drowning man.”

Sudarshang

Post by Sudarshang » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:03 am

Thank you Saindhavi ji for the excellent article. Got to read something worthwhile after quite some time.

rathodp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rathodp » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:40 am

Saindhaviji the site and many members including me will miss you.Let me confess over here that I like many others appreciate and admire your thankless service of helping people in trouble.Wish this saturn/mars transit ends soon.
Hope and pray that you relax and be back soon.God Bless

P.Srinivas. Rao
Donor
Donor

Post by P.Srinivas. Rao » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:12 pm

Dear Anuradhaji,

All the above translations were done by the H.O.D in Sanskrit Maha Vidyalya of Varansi and Muzaffarpur[ Bihar]. All the translations are quite similar with few difference in interpretation of shlokas.I personally do not feel that they all the wrong B.P.H.S.

U r absolutely right and i agree . There is a touch of Jaiminis Upadesh Suthra in BPHS.

Regards

P.S.Rao
Astrology is not a Science of light, but it is the Science of life

anuradha
Donor
Donor

Post by anuradha » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:16 pm

Sir, Thanks a lot. You have made my day :) . regards
A person should not be too honest. Straight trees are cut first and honest people are screwed first.
“Reasoning with a drunkard is like
Going under water with a torch to seek for a drowning man.”

howzat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by howzat » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:39 pm

by howzat » 13 Nov 2012 04:46
Dear Saindhavi Madam-

you are replying to everybody - but you are not replying to my any questions. I know you will not reply - but important is what you know - you dont know what reply to give - why because - you dont know the subject matter only. Shyama told something - you did not verify - you just did cut paste from there to here. Respected Anuradha of our forum - gave correct answer to you - you cannot respond why you know - because subject matter is 0.

See madam - cutting from one other sites and putting in another site - very easy. even 9 year old boys and girls will do like that. in internet no - hazar stupids peoples are there putting hazar websites and blogs. everything if me you read means -me and you will go mad. whatever is there on internet no - need not be correct everytime. dont copy their link and put here unless you verify if correct or not.

why shyam Sundar dasa not familiar with BPHS you know madam? I will tell. dasa studied astrology in south india - that is - karnataka - Kerala - Tamilnadu. in these three states no - Saravali, Phaladeepika, and Brihat Jataka Jataka Parijata Sarvartha Chintamani- are standard text books. what to do? his teacher did not think BPHS is important. what to do? if shyam sundara is not familiar with BPHS means it is not his mistake. His mistake is what you know - coming to conclusion that BPHS came after Brihat Jataka. actually - all above named books - taking base from BPHS only. Rishi Parashara is a Rishi - rest all who wrote other texts are Acharyas. dont confuse. Vrahamihira is not called Rishi Varahamihira - he is Acharya Vrahamihira.

shyama is promoting only krishna - nothing wrong - but to say remedy in chapter 88 - 97 in BPHS is interpolated - (he is using that word - not me) - then he is his stupids. As per respected K.N.Rao ji Saheb, The remedy given in BPHS is the very correct remedy - But no astrologer is recommending because they cannot make the moneys with remedy suggested by Rishi Parashara. what that Shyama is talking? he is saying - there is doubt about Jaimini System. what fellow he is. Then from where Jaimini Sutras came?

see madam. so many peoples are reading this site. so many peoples in future will read. but spreading wrong informations - are you doing dharma or Adharma? you are not verifying what other peoples are saying - simply putting link here. 6000 members are here - they also reading wrong things - that you only spread. please do not do like that. - Do you know madam - J Hora is based on BPHS? do you know - Respected P Narasimha Rao Saheb is holding discussion on aspect evaluation based on BPHS? have you gone in J Hora to planetary aspect evaluation and seen what he is talking? Have you seen new argument on Astakavarga calculation - based on BPHS and Phaladeepika? Have you seen difference in Shad bala calculation between J hora and other softwares. have you asked why that is happened? do you know of true Chitra paksha ayanamsha that is introduced?

For you - when you dont know - you just give excuse like - this is not place - i can talk many things but i will not - like that. only giving excuse. that is not the way madam. that is escaping. this is discussion board - not your blog. first you understand properly all basics - I am telling for your own good. I am not telling again.

P.Srinivas. Rao
Donor
Donor

Post by P.Srinivas. Rao » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:32 pm

Saindhavi » 11 Nov 2012, 18:46

Smacky,

Yes, it is true that the term "Vedic Astrology" is actually a misnomer and the Vedas had a very different notion of Destiny than what propounded by Jyotish.

It's also true that beyond the 27 Nakshatras in Atharva Veda, there is nothing in the Vedas about forecasting the future based upon the planets and zodiac signs.

It is also true that the 9 Grahas were used later than the Vedic period for predictive Jyotish.

It is also true that none of the ancient Sanskrit texts of Jyotish actually belongs to the Vedic period - and there is a great doubt over when actually Parashar's Hora Shastra was composed - in all probability it was very late - most probably in 6th-7th century CE or even later, with portions being added to it even till late mediaeval period.

It is also true that till very recently - about half a century ago, Parashar was not even the ultimate text used by the Jyotish practitioners - it was Varaha Mihira's Brihat Samhita and some other texts which took precedence over Parashar.

A lot of research has been done in this direction by the historians of ancient India.

I can direct you to a much better researched site for this information than the one you have cited in your comment above. Please read the following -

http://nakrashi.blogspot.in/2012/09/his ... ogy-i.html

http://nakrashi.blogspot.in/2012/09/his ... ology.html

http://nakrashi.blogspot.in/2012/09/his ... gy_10.html

Now, having said all this, I would like to say the following -

1) I am aware of the post-Vedic developments of Jyotish as we know it. Hence, in none of my comments I have referred to it as "Vedic Astrology." You can see all of my comments - I call it either "Jyotish," or "Indian Astrology."

2) Just because it is post-Vedic, it doesn't mean it can't be used and developed.

3) You may start a thread on the articles section of this forum on this topic if you wish. But please don't disturb this thread over this debate, as this is not the place for it.

4) I am glad that you find Howzat profound and hope you'll begin a new thread on this topic rather than bringing this debate here.

PS - Smacky, Srinivas Raoji, Howzat,

Please start this debate on a new thread rather than here. This is not the place for it.

Thanks and regards
Last edited by Saindhavi on 11 Nov 2012, 19:01, edited 4 times in total.

Vyakarana ( grammer ), Chandas ( Meter ), Shiksha (Intonation ), Niruktha ( Etymology ), Kalpa ( Ritual ) and JYOTHISH ( Astronomy/Astrology ) are the six auxillary disciplines of Veda and are called as Vedangas ( Limbs of the Veda ).

When the Veda is personified as a living being, Vykarana is regarded as the face , Chandass the legs, Shiksha the breath, Niruktha the ears , Kalpa the hands, and jyothish the eyes.

Each Vedanga is a living being who can be obtained only through a Guru.

Vedas were not created by ordinary humans but was cognized as Veda ( sacred knowledge ) by the ancient Seers, known as Rishis.

“ Vedasya chakshu : khila shastramethath “ ---- said by Vasishta. Therrefore among the shadangas Jyothish has been given the most importance.

“Tadwadvedaanga shastranaam jyothisham moordnyavasthitham “-----has been given the shiroratna sthana among vidyas.

This skandatrayatmaka jyothish shastra has been preached by Soorya , Pitamaha, Vasishta, Vyasa, Garga and PARASHARA from their atheendreya jnana by means of Siddantha—Samhitha—and Hora to the world.
Graha, Grahanadi ganitha (calculation) vibagh are in------Siddantha vibagha/ division

Shakuna, Swapna, Swara, Angaspurana, Samudrika, Vastu, Vrishti, Utpatha vichaars in –-----Samhitha vibagha,

Jataka phala, Prashna shastra, Muhurtha shastra are in ----Hora vibagh.

P.Srinivas. Rao
Donor
Donor

Post by P.Srinivas. Rao » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:39 pm

To know the trikaalika phala right from janana to marana , we require Janma patrika or jataka. One should evaluate the janma samaya and accordingly he should place the Lagna , nakshatra, rashi and grahas in the janma patrika through mathematical calcuklation and then understand the bala- bala of the jataka inorder to forecast the jeevitha phala . This system has been prepared and given to us by many achaaryas in many hora granthas and paddathis.

Janma janmantharas papa – punya phala will be decided in ones lalata rekha through shubhaa-shubha of grahas in ones jeevana. That is why it is said ----- “Vidhatra Likhitha Yaasou Lalatekshara Maalika. Daivajnasthaam Pattedwayksham Hora Nirmala Chakshusha. “

To understand this vidhi likhitha from jataka, only daivajna (astrologer) is able to see this vidhi likhitha janma phala thorough the knowledge of Jataka phala shastra or by Jyothishya.

Graha nakshatradis akarshan is there to every living being in this bhoomi .Every living things in this bhoomi will have its consequence with the rashi bala of graha and nakshatra.

On the basise of graha stithi in the janana jataka ---- jataka phala, dasha phala, yoga phala, bava phala etc, etc will be predicted. On the basise of daily movements of grahas, one will predict the gochaar phala.

What was he in the previous janma, where he was, what he will achieve in this janma, and what he will be in the next janma, all these vichaars can be predicted from this Hora shastra?

Just by taking dwadasha rashi and nava grahas, it is not possible to predict the entire jeevana phala. In case if we do so, then there will not be any difference between us and the street astrologer. One should analyse only the drik siddha jataka and then say the phala. In doing so, then it may not be called as---Pancha bavathi, Na pancha bavathi.

If there is no effect on us from grahas or from nakshatras, there is no reason why these Achaaryas took so much pain in learning this jyothish shastra and gave us their divya jnana vahini?.

Is it possible for us to say the jyothish phala, if they have not done the hard work? Is it fair on our part to say that all these Acharyas / Mahatmas are fools or ajnanis?

No, certainly not. They gave many examples, they shown us many phala chintana padathis, they wrote granthas after going through many experiments in many vichaars.

Varahamihira, kalyana varma, Jeevanatha, Mantreshwara, Nrsimha daivajna ( yavanacharya ), Vaidyanatha, Krishna Sharma, Madhava, Neelkanti etc, etc have given their valuable contribution to jyothish shastra after studieng carefully what –Garga, Narada, PARASHARA, Jaimini munis said in their granthas. They kept their entire life only for this shastra.

One one Acharyas have given one one vichaars in their own style but in sookshma roopa.

Arya bhatta, Bhskaracharya, Varahamihira, Lalla, Brahmagupthadis have experimented in many ways through Ganitha siddantha and gave us their valuable granthas. Each Acharyas explained the jataka phala in different ways.

Eventhough their style is different from each other but there is not much difference in their phalas. One Acharya gave importance to bava phala, but another Acharya gave importance to dasha phala, and another acharya gave importance to ashtaka varga. One acharya explained gochar phala but another Acharya explained yoga phala and another explained shadbala-avasthadi phalas.

To be continued----------
Last edited by P.Srinivas. Rao on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

P.Srinivas. Rao
Donor
Donor

Post by P.Srinivas. Rao » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:12 am

Thus jyothishya shastra phalas were told by many Acharya and hence it is difficult for us to decide -----“Eda mithham”. (This is the right phala) in few cases.

Mahamedhavi Varahamihiracharya wrote mahangranthas in limited words but in larger meanings. He is also called as Sripathi, Siddha Vaishnava, and Hari.

Classic texts of Varahamihira are-----Daivajna Vallabha (prashna shastra, horory astrology), and Prashna Vaishnava, Prashna shiromani, Brihat Jataka, Panchasiddanthika, Brihat Samhitha, and Laghu jataka. Anyone would be astonished to read many vichaars mentioned in his Varahi samhitha grantha.He is such a person who extended his hands from Akaash to Pathaal. That is the reason he is called as Mahamedhavi in his period.

But all of us should understand that all the texts written by Varahamihira or for that matter any one else have been based upon the teachings and the text of MAHARISHI PARASHARA.

Varahamihira has paid glowing tribute to Rishis like Maharishi Parashara in all his texts

Those who accept Jataka phala should also accept Bagawanthas asthitwa. They should accept janamantharas sukratha and dushkrithas. They should accept that Srishtikartha Parbrahma is the Lord or the Controller of grahas.

“Kaalaatma kaalaroopoyam kaalastree jagadeeshwara: tasyechaanusaaram karma chaaya prakrithivathkhagaa: “. ----said in Sooryaruna Sanwaad.

Kaalantharayami kaalapreraka kaalaroopa is Paramatmatrijagadeeshwara. Everything moves as per his Ichha in this loka. Grahas are in chaaya roopa of that Kaala. Therefore, as per the Ichha of bagawantha, these grahas from their rashmijaala controls this loka and make an impact in our daily activities---- said in shastra.

Grahas in the universe are not mere round play balls, they have prakrithya akarshna- vikarshana shakthi.Parashara said many times in many ways that unexpected things happens in this loka is mainly because of these grahas.

It shows its prabhava not only to outer world but also to many things which are beneath the earth. (For eg: mines)---said in Varahamihira Samhitha. Some Achaaryas even told the phala of the animals by preparing janma patrika .Thus Acharyas gave us their jnana maarg as to how to say the phala after taking into consideration of desh, kaala, beeja and kshetra.
Last edited by P.Srinivas. Rao on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

P.Srinivas. Rao
Donor
Donor

Post by P.Srinivas. Rao » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:29 am

One bhagana, (rashi chakra)

Twelve rashis,

Twenty four hora,

Thirty six drekkana,

Eighty four sapthamsha,

One hundred eight navamsha,

One fourty four dwadashamsha,

One ninety two shodashamsha,

Two hundred fourty vimshamsha,

Three hundred sixty trimshamsha,

Seven twenty sastyamsha,

One thousand eight hundred kalamsha,

Twenty one thousand kalaas.

In these,
sanchaar grahas,

its bala,

its shadbala,

its rashmi,

avastha,

shatru-mitratwa,

uchha-neecha,

yoga drihti,

its amashadikaar,

karakatwa,

nine dashas,

eightyone bhukthis,

seven hundred twenty six chidras,

six thousandfive hundred sixty one chidra prathyantharas,

five lakh thirty one thousand four hundred fourty one sookshma prana dashas.

Thus, unless one knows all these vidhi- vidhanas, it is very difficult to say phala.

“Daivadeenam jagathsarvam grahaasthe devathaamshaka: “. ----- So, this loka is daivadeena loka.

Thus one should do the phala chintana only after knowing that these grahas are deva sambhooths, devathaadeena grahas. One should have shraddha, should experiment and have analytical knowledge. Only then, it will be said as -----“Prathyaksham jyothisham shastram chandraarko yathra saakshino “

To be continued---------

P.Srinivas. Rao
Donor
Donor

Post by P.Srinivas. Rao » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:35 pm

“Soorya: Pithamaho Vyaso Vasishtothri: Parashara: ! Kasyapo Narado Gargo Mareechirmanurangiraa: ! Lomasha: Paulishchaiva Chyavano Yavano Brighu:! Shounakoshtadashaschathe Jyothishastra Pravarthaka: “---- all are Jyothish pravarthakas.Narada smriti and in Soorya Siddhantha

Are these jyothishya pravarthakas fools/ ajnanis to break their head for the sake of Jyothishya?.
What was the need for them to waste their time to write claasic texts?

In case they knew that Jyothish don’t have the substance, then why did they wasted their entire life in jyothish?.

Graha nakshatradi phala khatana is also there in Vedas.

It is mentioned in many places in Upanishad also.

One can find the importance given to nakshatras in Veda kaal and also in Vedanga kaal. Lateron they adopted Rashi Chakra. For this in Soorya Siddantha, it is said like this ---- “Paschadwarjanthothi javaannakshatrai: sathatham graha:”

In Taitereeya Brahmana grantha ------Chathasro devirajaraashravishta: (about the group of nakshatra).

“Om taani va ethaani yamanakshatraani------yathkaarisyathpunyaha eva kuruthe “(nakshatra karma phala mentioned in VEDA.)

Therefore, one can find Jyothish shastras importance (varnana) in VEDA KAAL also.

Mahatma Lagadha muni in Vedanga jyothish said-------nakshatre prathamam Dhanishtetyudeeritham. (Nakshatra arambha is from Dhanishta nakshatra)

Till today in Ganitha siddhantha , we find the reference of ---Arya bhatta, Varahamihira, Brahma guptha, Battotpala, Shwethothpala, Varuna bhatta, Bhoja raja, Bhaskaracharya, kalyana chandra, Shathaananda, Ganesha, lalla, Munjaala, Sripathi, Nrsimha, kamalakara, Jagannatha, Samantha Chandrshekhara etc, etc.

To be continued------------
Last edited by P.Srinivas. Rao on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

P.Srinivas. Rao
Donor
Donor

Post by P.Srinivas. Rao » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:28 am

The importance of Jyothish can be seen from our ithihaas and purana granthas.

We can see the reference of Kuja , Budha, Shukras trigraha yoga in anishta sthana during the Karna vadhaa in Mahabharata ( in Shalya parva ) , it is said -----“ Brighu soonu dharaa puthro shashijena samanvitha “.

“Ya: Kaashtasya Kanteerava “. - ------ One who don’t know Siddantha shastra ganitha parijnana, it is like a Raja who is shown in the picture or a Lion carved out of wood. That means, his prediction of Jyothish phala is nishphala.

In this connection I would like to give an example of a question paper of Jyothish Visharada examination. (This is my personal experience):-

1) Which is the period of Parashara, Varahamihira and Bhaskaracharya? What is their contribution to jyothishya? Name the Granthas written by them? --------------------------------------------20 marks.

2) Explain Grahana? What is the effect of Grahana in jyothish? -------------------------15 marks.

3) Who wrote this slokas?----------------------------------------------------------------------15 marks

4) Find out the mistakes in this jataka ?-----------------------------------------------------15 marks

5) Explain ashta koota in compatibility? Why Graha maitri is important?----------------10 marks

6) Explain Godhooli muhurtha?-----------------------------------------------------------------10 marks

7) Explain briefly about this Yoga?-------------------------------------------------------------10 marks

8) Prepare a Jataka, DOB is ---------------------------------------------------------------------5 marks
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------100 marks
===========================================================================================

The person who set this question paper knew very well that, no one will pass if he set more marks to calculation part of the question paper. That is why he gave only 5 marks to question No: 8, which involves mathematical calculation. The fact of the matter is, all the students attempted first 7 questions and not bothered to answer the 8thquestion.

Such is the condition / fate of siddantha ganitha now a days. Students don’t want calculation part; hence all the students left the last question.

This should not happen in future. Many more jyothishya adyayana Kendra should come up. They should give importance to jyothishya faculty in universities. Importance should be given both to Hora and Siddantha shastra. Should appoint qualified teachers. Should have the scope for research in this field. Only then, this jyothishya shastra will be alive in future.

To be continued-----------

P.Srinivas. Rao
Donor
Donor

Post by P.Srinivas. Rao » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:16 pm

To say the phala in authority, one requires ---
navagraha sputa,
lagnadi bava sputa,
Bava sandhi sputa,
Navamsha sputa,
grahas shadbala
Dasha sishta,
Varga stithi,
ashataka vargaksha nyasa,
Mandiadi sputa,
Upagraha sputa etc, etc.

What will jyothishi do when he has been given only the rashi chakra and sishta dasha and ask jyothishi to say the phala? If he refuses to say the phala, then the people will say that he is a bogus jyothishi. If he says the phala, then his situation will be like---- ---Pancha bavathi Na pancha bavathi. Natuarally jyothishi will think that why I cannot say the phala when others say the phala only on rashi chakra.

Like that, many jyothishis create the fear among the people by saying ------ you are having ashtama angaraka, sapthama angaraka and reject the jataka when it comes to compatibility. Thus jyothishi will be the target of unmarried girl’s shraap and lose the confidence and faith among the people. Jyothishi should be careful in such situation.

We come across many so called Vichaarvadis (rationalists) who have no faith in phala bagha and don’t believe in God. They say that there is no effect or contribution of these grahas to humans. They say that , since God is not visible , they won’t accept the concept of God. They articulate that homa from fire, pooja to a stone, pinda to ancestors, are all waste of time and useless.

Vedadi shastras are not having substance. Tulasi, Govu ( cow ), Ashwath tree, Bhakthi, Dharma acharana, Yoga, Mantra, Tantra, Yantra, Dhyana, Teertha, all these are created by the selfish attitude of Purohiths. It is natural and usual course that the movements of grahas, its kirana, Ravis jwala, birth and death are all vishwa niyama.

To be continued--------

P.Srinivas. Rao
Donor
Donor

Post by P.Srinivas. Rao » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:08 am

Many westners have accepted the jyothish phala bagha. Many foreigners have written and published wonderful books on Jyothish. Many have their own blogs and web sites. Live eg: is our Sir Vaughn Paul. We all should salute them for their great contribution to our culture and shastras. They have shown us which we are not able to do being an Indian.

It is we, (few of us) joins with few westerners and start criticizing Jyothish phala bagha. These so called rationalists / vichaarvadis say that, spending money on sanskaar, pooja, utsav, and dharmic vichaars are one type of foolishness. They exhibit themselves as the savior of mankind by criticizing the sacred granthas written by many scholars and rishivaryaas, our paddathis, our sampradaya vichaars, our bagwatha vaakyas, our beliefs and our culture.

Is it they wanted to say, our Mharshis and Rishivaryass are fools?
If twelve persons don’t accept eighty eight persons achaar – vichaars, then these eighty eight persons are buddhi heena jeevis?
OR eighty eight persons view go unnoticed by the cry of these twelve persons? .

If these twelve persons view is right, then what is their shastra maarg?, what is their science?, who is that scientist who is accepted by all? Is it not the theory of one scientist is rejected by another scientist?

In this connection , I would like to give one more eg:----- Few so called reformists or buddhi jeevis advocates that State language (If u are in Karnataka, then Kannada is the language ) should be made compulsory for all subjects in schools and high schools . Other than the state language no subjects should be taught in schools. In fact, the same buddhi jeevis childrens are studieng in English medium schools. What do you say for this?

Similarly, many advocates themselves that, they are against compatibility or mela-meli or matching the horoscopes. and they don’t believe in ashta – koota compatibility between the boy and a girl. If we glance little about that person , you will come to know that , he himself gone through the compatibility, shown his daughters jataka to a jyothishi for compatibility/ matching and agreed for his daughters marriage

If we start giving answers to these so called vichaarvadis, it may become a Grantha by itself and there is no end to this debate.

To be continued---------

howzat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by howzat » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:19 am

Re: Celestial Drama in Libra
by Saindhavi » 15 Nov 2012 07:58
howzat,
I'll respond to you on the other thread after PSrinivas Raoji finishes writing there. I don't want to disrupt his flow at the moment.
Havan Manuals -
http://www.lightonvedicastrology.com/ph ... 53#p124488
hymns -
2 http://www.lightonvedicastrology.com/ph ... =75#p93038
dear respected PSRao ji sir -

you have told -
by P.Srinivas. Rao » 18 Nov 2012 15:38
Many westners have accepted the jyothish phala bagha. Many foreigners have written and published wonderful books on Jyothish. Many have their own blogs and web sites. Live eg: is our Sir Vaughn Paul. We all should salute them for their great contribution to our culture and shastras. They have shown us which we are not able to do being an Indian.
You also told
by P.Srinivas. Rao » 14 Nov 2012 15:42

Thus jyothishya shastra phalas were told by many Acharya and hence it is difficult for us to decide -----“Eda mithham”. (This is the right phala) in few cases.

Mahamedhavi Varahamihiracharya wrote mahangranthas in limited words but in larger meanings. He is also called as Sripathi, Siddha Vaishnava, and Hari.

Classic texts of Varahamihira are-----Daivajna Vallabha (prashna shastra, horory astrology), and Prashna Vaishnava, Prashna shiromani, Brihat Jataka, Panchasiddanthika, Brihat Samhitha, and Laghu jataka. Anyone would be astonished to read many vichaars mentioned in his Varahi samhitha grantha.He is such a person who extended his hands from Akaash to Pathaal. That is the reason he is called as Mahamedhavi in his period.

But all of us should understand that all the texts written by Varahamihira or for that matter any one else have been based upon the teachings and the text of MAHARISHI PARASHARA
dear sir, do you have any objection if Saindhavi madam can give her opinion on the matter? please tell.

P.Srinivas. Rao
Donor
Donor

Post by P.Srinivas. Rao » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:05 am

For everything there is a starting point/ begining or Aadi. Like that, there is one shakthi for every moola. Scientists say, if one substance is mixed to another substance, it comes out as a product. In such case, from where we can bring that substance?, who gave that substance ?

Therefore, simply by exhibiting yourself as rationalist, u cannot be a Vichaarvadi. Let us understand and analyse the vichaar, let us reach our goal. Let us not give importance to these baseless rationalists. Let us say --- asthi chennasthiko hath:

When we thoroughly understand these Jyothish granthas, we will able to realize the importance of these nakshatras and its impacts. Only then, we can able to say the phala with authority.

Jagathkarma sakshini Sri Bagwan Sooryanarayana is the lord of all the grahas. From him only this jagath is controlled. He is the protector of this jagath. Sooryantharayami bagwantha is Kaala. That is why it is said ------Kaala: srajathi bhoothani paathyatho samharathyapi Eshwara:, Sarvalokanamavyayo bagwan vibhu:.

Panchabhoothathma, jagathsrasti stithi samharthaka is Soorya Dev. That is how we remember and pray Lord Soorya Dev---“Om Tatsavithurvarenyam “in Gayathri Mantra.

=========================================THE END=======================================
Last edited by P.Srinivas. Rao on Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

howzat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by howzat » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:29 am

respected sir - please kindly answer to my posts.

P.Srinivas. Rao
Donor
Donor

Post by P.Srinivas. Rao » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:28 pm

`
Chronological order of various Siddanthas

Brahma Siddantha
Soorya Siddantha
Soma Siddantha
Vasishta Siddantha
Romaka Siddantha
Paulastya Siddantha
Brihaspathi Siddantha
Garga Siddantha
Vyasa Siddhantha
Parashara Siddhantha
Bhoja Siddantha
Varaha Siddantha
Brahmaguptha Siddantha
Siddantha Shiromani
Sundara Siddantha
Tatwa- Vivekha Siddantha
Sarvabouma Siddantha
Laghu arya Siddantha
Brihad arya Siddantha.

Nine Siddhanthas are mentioned in modern Sanskrit Encyclopedia, the Shabdakalpadruma:-

Brahma Siddhantha
Soorya Siddhantha
Soma Siddhantha
Brihaspathi Siddhantha
Garga Siddhantha
Narada Siddhantha
Parashara Siddhantha
Paulatsya Siddhantha
Vasishta Siddhantha

P.Srinivas. Rao
Donor
Donor

Post by P.Srinivas. Rao » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:31 pm

The above Siddhanthas are classified into Four Classes:-

!st class comprises :-( Super human being)

Brahma siddhantha----- reference Vishnudharmottara purana. Lord Brahma revealed this to Naradaa Muni.
Soorya siddhantha
Soma Siddhantha---( soma = Moon )
Brihaspathi Siddhantha
Narada Siddhantha

2nd Class comprises:- ( Ancient renowned sages/rishis )

Garga Siddhantha
Vyasa Siddhantha
Parashara Siddhantha
Paulatsya Siddhantha ( a Hindu sage and not a Greek)
Vasishta Siddhantha
3rd Class comprises :-( works of actual authors/ astronomers )

Arya Bhatta Siddhantha or laghu Arya Siddhantha
Varaha Siddhantha----( Author of Pancha Siddhanthika , the compilation of 5 astronomy treatise---Brahma, Soorya, Paulasya, Vasishta, and Romaka Siddhanthas )
Brahma Siddhantha ( Brahmaguptha )
Romaka Siddhantha
Bhoja Siddhantha ( Raja Bhoja Dev of 10th centuary)

4th Class comprises:- ( texts of known date and authorship )

Siddhantha Shiromani ( Bhasker acharya )
Graha laghava –Ganesha ( the best book )
Siddhantha Tatwa Viveka ( Kamalakara )
Siddhantha Sarvabouma. ( Munishwara )

Hindu astronomical works are divided into 2 classes:-

A)

1) Aryabhatiya ( commentator of Soorya Siddhantha )---------Aryabhatta 1st,-- 499 AD
2) Romaka and Paulatsya siddhantha-------------------------------Latadeva ( Expounder )-- 505 AD
3) Pancha Siddhanthika--------------------------------------------------Varahamihira--550 AD
4) Brahmasputa Siddantha and Khandaka adhyaya---------------Brahmaguptha—628AD
5) Sisyadhivraddida--------------------------------------------------------Lalla------748AD
6) Laghu manasa and Brahma manasa--------------------------------Manjula----932AD
7) Siddhantha shekhara---------------------------------------------------Srpathi---1028AD
8) Siddhantha Shiromani ( Graha ganitha, Spashtadikara)-------Bhaskera 2nd.----1150AD

B)

Astronomical calculation and systems as direct transmission from Hindu Gods:-

1) Soorya Siddhantha -----------------------------------------------------Maya , the asura king
2) Paitamaha siddhantha
3) Vyasa Siddhantha
4) Vasishta Siddhantha
5) Atri Siddhantha
6) PARASHARA Siddhantha
7) Kashyap Siddhantha
8) Narada Siddhantha
9) Garga Siddhantha
10) Mareechi Siddhantha
11) Manu Siddhantha
12) Angira Siddhantha
13) Lomasa Siddhantha ( Romaka ? )
14) Paulatsya Siddhantha
15) Chavana Siddhantha
16) Yavana Siddhantha ( Yavanacharya )
17) Brighu Siddhantha
18) Saunaka Siddhantha.

Pl Note--- a) Greeks have borrowed astronomy from India.

b) From Sl no 2 to 18 were before BC

c) For more reference, kindly Refer page –xxxiv “A bird’s eye view of Hindu Astronomy from the VEDIC Times to 80 AD “of Soorya Siddhantha a text book of Hindu Astronomy by Ebenezer Burgess

d) We can find Astronomy/Astrology and phala in ------Satapatha Brahmana, Kraushtika Brahmana, Taittiriya Brahmana, Aitreya Brahmana Granthas and Mahabharath purana, Kautilya ( Artha Shastra ) shastra and Parasharas hora shastra much much before Varahamihira, infact before Christ

P.Srinivas. Rao
Donor
Donor

Post by P.Srinivas. Rao » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:08 pm

“Krithetu maanavo dharmastrethaayaam Gowtham: smrath:
Dwapare shaankha likhitha kalow Parashara smrath:!! “

This shows that Parashara smrithi is the most important smrithi for Kali Yuga.

In one of the Jyothish sammelan in Karnataka, one of the speaker said----- “I will not touch other than Varahmihira grantha “

Immediately the next speaker said----- " I can make my deciple as Varahmihira, but not Parashara “ 2nd speakers intention is only this --- Parashara Maharshi foundout and explained Jyothish shastra from his divya drishti. Whereas, Vrahamihiracharya became pandith by self study and hard work.

Varahamihira wrote Panchasiddhanthika by referring 5 old granthas prevailing during his time. (Kindly refer above)At the same time it is true that, there is none who is equal to their Vidya.

P.Srinivas. Rao
Donor
Donor

Post by P.Srinivas. Rao » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:10 pm

One sect of Jyothishis says that Jaimini maharshi has written Upadesh sutras to Parashara Hora Shastra.

Karakamsha, Navamsha, lagna, Upa-pada, Aroodas are there in both the granthas. But Mandi which has reference in Jaimini and not in Parashara.

Grahas having drishti in Parashara, whereas rashi having drishti in Jaimini.

Ravi is called as Atma karaka in Parashara, whereas Rashis vraddha graha is considered as Atma karaka and the next Vraddha graha is Amatya Karaka in jaimini.

Vedha in Parashara, whereas Argala in Jaimini.

So, many scholars say that Jaimini maharshi is the deciple of Veda Vyasa and not Parashara. That is why they say that, it is not clear that Parashara Hora Shastra is belongs to Maharshi Parashara or Maharshi Jaimini.

P.Srinivas. Rao
Donor
Donor

Post by P.Srinivas. Rao » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:14 pm

Like Vedas, Brihath Parashara Hora shastra is also called as Mukhodgatha Grantha.

Parashara explained Hora Shastra at the request of one Maitrai Muni. That is why in Parashara Hora Shastra, we can find “Maitrai uvacha “in the very first chapter of this grantha.

In this connection I request all the readers of this forum not to miss to go through the first 2 chapters—Maitrai uvacha, Srashti krama Varnana Adyaya and Avathara Krama Varnana Adyaya.

Dr. Pandith Devachandra Jha, the professor in Govt college of Sanskrit, Muzafur, Bihar is the authority of this Grantha.