From "The Discovery of India"...

For discussion on any other astrology topics like birth rectification, prashna, muhurta, mundane astrology, etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
Orange-Man
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

From "The Discovery of India"...

Post by Orange-Man » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:51 pm

A wonderful thought on pre-destined destiny and free will by Jawaharlal Nehru in his book “Discovery of India”:

“Whether there is any such thing as human freedom in the philosophic sense or whether there is only an automatic determinism, I do not know. A very great deal appears certainly to be determined by the past complex of events which bear down and often overwhelm the individual. Possibly the inner urge that he experiences, that apparent exercise of free will, is itself conditioned. As Schopenhauer says, ‘a man can do what he will, but not will as he will.’ A belief in an absolute determinism seems to me to lead inevitably to complete inaction, to death in life. All my sense of life rebels against it, though of course that very rebellion may itself have been conditioned by previous events.”

Basab
Last edited by Orange-Man on Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Man can do what he wills, but he cannot will what he will will." - Schopenhauer

manya
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: From "The Discovery of India"...

Post by manya » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:20 pm

Excellent!
I am letting go of the thoughts that do not make me strong.

Orange-Man
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Orange-Man » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:27 pm

Thank you, Manya ji.

Basab
"Man can do what he wills, but he cannot will what he will will." - Schopenhauer

rathore
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by rathore » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:00 pm

This topic I have contemplated on with no conclusion...

My hypothesis for free will: If there is no free will at all, then everything loses its meaning. Even "meaning" loses its meaning. Moreover since the scriptures usually tell to take action so Free-will must be there.

My hypothesis for pre determination: God is all knowing, so whatever action I take (or will take) in any circumstances whatsoever is already known to God. So I can only have free will if God is not all knowing.. which starts to sound absurd if we assume God is not all knowing.

This brings us to another riddle:

Can God create a rock he himself can't lift? If he can, then somethings can be impossible for God himself. If he can't create then also somethings can be impossible for God. Either way it doesn't sound right.

So the problem seems to be because of thinking of God in a limited perspective, which to me means God is beyond knowing for us. He is unknowable and perhaps also knowable at the same time. So maybe we can never know if there really is free will or pre determinism or both? Or maybe this planet is just hell of another planet :mrgreen:

Orange-Man
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Orange-Man » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:40 pm

Thank you, Rathore, for sharing your thoughts on the matter.

Basab