Maandi / Mandi / Gulika

For discussion on aspects, retrograde, combustion, planetary war, vargottama, kuja dosha, alternate lagnas etc.
Forum rules
READ Forum-Wide Rules and Guidelines NOTICE: OFFENSIVE POSTS WILL BE DELETED, AND OFFENDERS WILL HAVE ALL POSTS MODERATED.
parijataka
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Maandi / Mandi / Gulika

Post by parijataka » 27 Jul 2016

@Crystalpages ji, people in Tamil Nadu and to some extent in Kerala have problem pronouncing vowels pa/pha/ba/bha , ta,tha, da, dha, etc. For example the name Senthil cold be pronounced `sentil`, `senthil`, `sendil` or `sendhil` ! Similarly `phaladeepika` could morph to `baladeebiga`.

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 27 Jul 2016

you are wrong parijataka Brahmins speak sanskritised tamil and can pronounce exactly.

Crystalpages
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Crystalpages » 27 Jul 2016

Thanks Parijataka ji! I was worried that Mantreswar ji wrote a companion volume that we northeners were not aware and missed out on. Kerala Astros indicated at several points that many kerala gems remained untranslated and therefore in local custody only :-(
Rohiniranjan
Dimensions (blog on wordpress)

subramanianp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by subramanianp » 06 Sep 2016

parijataka wrote:@Crystalpages ji, people in Tamil Nadu and to some extent in Kerala have problem pronouncing vowels pa/pha/ba/bha , ta,tha, da, dha, etc. For example the name Senthil cold be pronounced `sentil`, `senthil`, `sendil` or `sendhil` ! Similarly `phaladeepika` could morph to `baladeebiga`.
Malayalam is so close to sanskrit and KERALA is better known for correct pronounciation of SANSKRIT .
With regards

Astrologically yours.
Subramanian Pandath.

parijataka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by parijataka » 06 Sep 2016

@subramanianp and @Dev - agree ! Apparently Tamil has something called `grantha lipi` in which all the alphabets are written and pronounced correctly vs modern Tamil which allows leeway in pronunciation and Malayalam has in my opinion the best Sanskrit pronunciation in India ! Having said that in normal day to day conversation Tamils and Malayalis do mispronounce some words.

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 07 Sep 2016

Ok, better comments.

radiance
Contributor
Contributor

Post by radiance » 15 Apr 2018

Wonderful thread, especially below comment on 2nd page..Couldn't really read beyond 3rd page. Commenting just to get this wonderful topic back in attention. Being from Kerala, I have at least heard of maandi and there's quite a lot discussed here. It is interesting that be it the west, east or south of India, each side has its unique style of jyotish and making predictions and each accurate in their own way.
astroboy wrote:
01 Feb 2011
Sir , You will not believe me , I have seen astrologers start a Dasha from Maandi in a Prashna . I thought the Tantri had lost his mind , But he did start the dasha from Maandi . I did not have the courage to ask him what the logic behind it was, But he went on rattling Sanskrit slokas and the rest of other Tantri's just kept Nodding . :? :?

Vivek Surya
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vivek Surya » 15 Apr 2018

नमः शिवाय!
subramanianp wrote:
06 Sep 2016
Malayalam is so close to Sanskrit and KERALA is better known for correct pronunciation of SANSKRIT .
How much close it is? You feel it's close, but it's not, this should judged by the people who knows both संस्कृतम् & Malayalam! Yes Kerala is better known for wrong pronunciation of संस्कृतम्! because we are borrowed lot of words from Tamizh! & we're the one who mispronounce lot of words!
Even lot of people claims so & so, but what I've observed is people are taking the pride of it, that's it & nothing else! :D
subramanianp wrote:
17 Jul 2013
This is as per Chapter 25,sloka14 of BHALADEEPIKA.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
See here itself, is it not mispronouncing a book name?
It is फलदीपिक (Phaladeepika) It's not bha or fa it's pha :)
वागर्थाविव संपृक्तौ वागर्थप्रतिपत्तये।
जगतः पितरौ वन्दे पार्वतीपरमेश्वरौ॥ 🙏
By महा कवि कालिदास in रघुवंशम्

श्रुति स्मृति पुराणाणां आलयं करुणालयं |
नमामि भगवद्पदं शङ्करं लोकशन्करं ||🙏

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 15 Apr 2018

Radiance:
You are from Kerala where mandi is considered important. But there are many who predict without taking mandi into account. Then why should mandi be considered so important, can we not have complete predictions without taking mandi into account? What additional information we get?
In fact some do not even consider rahu and ketu, and treat their dasas as equivalent or more powerful than the dasa of the lord wherein they are placed.

radiance
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly. Which is why I mentioned each direction in India has its own way of predicting and each correct in its own. Intention was not to highlight own state or techniques therein. Example : Bengal is a powerhouse in itself on astrology. We know of instances of Ramakrishna Paramahansa and Vivekananda checking almanacs/their astrological knowledge etc. There was a wonderful telefilm called Jyotishi aired in doordarshan many years back directed by Dipankar de on the subject- as hard as I tried to get it online I am not able be see it anywhere. Rajya sabha tv did an interview with Jackie Shroff where he said his father who was an astrologer used to go to Bengal regularly to get Jyotish lessons. His father had foretold that Jackie would make it big in media and also knew that Jackies elder brother would not live long (He died in front of Jackie when he was barely ten and his father had discouraged him from going out into the sea that day).. It's unlikely they used maandi then... and by the way Jackies astrologer father was friends with Dhirubhai Ambani and predicted his meteoric rise before he made it big. This is the power of Eastern Indian astrology..

Coming to the west, Gujarat and surrounding states also has its fare share of excellent astrologers particularly naadi jyotish which I believe is not the same as nadi jyotish practised in southern states Tamil nadu and Kerala etc. Towards the north, Delhi(where I was brought up) and other areas are probably influenced by both eastern and western indian astrology methods. I am not sure if they have any other primary approach(as there could be several different approaches to astrology as well with/without maandi rahu/ketu etc).

This original thread on Maandi, however, is interesting. I am a bit biased to astroboy's posts I would admit - they are really well written with crisp english, no typing mistakes and detailed info on the subject. That fact apart, he is from Mangalore/Goa side and he is writing about maandi here practised in Kerala(which by the way is famous for ashtamangala prashnam as well).

Also on Vivek's question- I had Sanskrit in school for 2-3 years and can read/write Malayalam as well and no, I do not think Malayalam is any closer to Sanskrit than Tamil or Hindi. Each Indian language possibly has a few words borrowed or sounding similar to Sanskrit which is not surprising considering it is a very old language. In writing it does look like Hindi(Devanagri Script) so those who can read hindi can easily read sanskrit without understanding a word of it. Even German, they say, has words similar to Sanskrit. So that becomes a longer topic to discuss.

=> Jackie's interview (talks about his astrologer father from 10 minutes although the full interview is worth a watch) - https://youtu.be/Ef3zTBkrXI4?t=10m2s One can also see how awesome a person this guy is. Likes of salman khan and others wouldn't even look like pennies compared to this gem of a person, his love, compassion and universal beliefs.

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 15 Apr 2018

well said.
Very interesting to know of Jackie, I will watch, comment.

radiance
Contributor
Contributor

In the same video he talks about how certain plants such as Areca nut give out oxygen in the night as well. This was news to my ears and later found out that there are 10-15 plant species such as Tulsi, Peepal, Snake plant(commonly used for decoration purposes) that have the ability to give out oxygen 24 hours a day.

Another video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48hu1G-zOTo - Between 9 and 13 minutes related to his father & brother. His brother went to the sea against the warning from his father and drowned while trying to save a kid from neighbour. Neighbour survived and his brother died. Amazing. Simply amazing. I find this somewhat similar to the serial I talked about. Perhaps someone who reads this post has the video with them.

http://www.gomolo.com/jyotishi-movie-sy ... tory/13538

Dev
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Post by Dev » 16 Apr 2018

TQ for the information.